Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surreal Interpretations

jetcode

Surreal Interpretations

A thread for images that expand interpretation beyond the original scene. Post images you consider having a surreal interpretation.

This image was taken around 2:30 near Eureka dunes. A texture screen at the film plane was used in an attempt to create a pictorial effect. Did it work? Does the image work?

Re: Surreal Interpretations

Very nice.

Only you have to be happy with the results. Practice being a strong willed artist. Be damned what others think. HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Very nice.

Only you have to be happy with the results. Practice being a strong willed artist. Be damned what others think. HA!

Thanks

That's true however I learn a lot by observing how others interpret a scene. I learn the most from observing existing art and graphic forms in nature.

In this image I also used a graduated autumn density filter which contributes to the natural darkening of the sky. It was broad daylight, hot and nasty as Jim Galli points out.

Joe,

I like this very much.

Joe -

Had you not said there was a texture screen at the film plane the my first thought was "reticulation".

The edges of the effect seem a bit sharp (that would be the shadow cast by the screen texture I suppose) for a pictorial look. The edges of the landscape have the pictorial look but the sharpness of the screen texture seems off to me.

Then again, I'm more of a technique junkie. On the whole, I like it but I wouldn't class it as pictorial. Manipulated, but not pictorial. To me "pictorial" means more of the slightly soft (not overly so, that seems forced) one and two element landscape lens look and maybe printing on some paper with a bit more tooth.

I like this one. Maybe it's my eyes that nothing looks like it's along a horizon. I really do like it though.

I hope to pull my finger out and do some alternative methods on printing like that.

jetcode

RW a small jpeg does not show the nature of the texture very well. The texture screen has it's own quality. Sharpening has not been applied to this image. If you saw the neg up close you would see the fiber of the texture rather then the crackling found on reticulated film.

Ash the line in the bottom is a horizontal that creeps up heading left which provides the effect coupled with the fact there is a slight angle (not dead on) in the image. I had to do this to avoid lens flare, the sun is just right of the image at say 2:00. You can get texture screen material at an art store that sells vellum type sheets for seperating prints and artwork. Remember to open up 1-2 stops to compensate. It's nearly impossible to get a texture screen to lay completely flat without taping it to your film. I never did that and the results are soft areas where the texture screen lifts.

Thanks Donald.

This is one of my favorite images for it's mood and simple composition. This took about 6 hours to dial it in Photoshop CS2 utilizing 9 layers or so.

A very haunting photograph. What I mean by that is I have returned several times to look at it again. It sticks in your memory. Have you ever looked at http://boundlessgallery.com to sell?

jetcode

Hi Charles,

I've been working on my online portfolio for several months now. Once I get an online presence I will consider print sales. I like the surreal in art.

Joe

This is wonderful. It would fail were it not for the bright ribbon of light just at the base of the hills. That pulls me right in and makes me want to be there.