Thread: Linhof Press 70 - what could it be worth?

Post Linhof Press 70 - what could it be worth?

Maybe you can help with some advice though this is a medium format camera, strictly speaking.

I have a Press 70, the one with the rangefinder, selenium light meter, two grips and helical focussing, a 6x7cm camera. There are two Zeiss lenses, a Planar 80mm and a Sonnar 180mm. Two Super Rollex magazines, one extra insert and a Polaroid magazine.

Everything works, the finder is clear and accurate, so is the lightmeter. Lenses are clean and have no scratches or stains, shutters work accurate, focussing is smooth. There is not much sign of use, but the paint of the body is aging.

I think it's something between a collector and a user camera... it would be a pity not to use it. But as I have a good medium format equipment, I don't need it.

Can someone give me a hint how much this could be worth?

Re: Linhof Press 70 - what could it be worth?

Checking eBay's completed listings I couldn't find one, but these sets do come up occasionally for auction. There is one right now that also includes a 53mm Biogon (a fairly pricy lens on its own), 80mm Xenotar (in addition to the Planar of the same focal length), a case, and everything in your kit except the Polaroid back and spare insert for an asking price of $3750, and there is no guarantee that they will get that price.

My guess is that if you sold your set as a kit on eBay, you could get about $1600-2000 for it. If one of the grips is a right-hand grip, it's worth more on its own than the left-hand grip. If you wanted to break it up, I'd keep the camera, lenses, one back, and left-hand grip together, and sell the rest of the pieces separately.

The Press 70 was normaly equiped with a left-hand grip. If the camera has a right-hand grip too, this grip replaces the wind-up handle like with the Aero Press. This grip cannot be used with other Linhof cameras.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that the Press had this function as well.

Also the Super Rollex film holders are special ones. Only working with the Press 70, Aero Press and Electric 70.

I see, so those must be the ones with a gear that engages with the camera body instead of a wind lever. In which case, it makes more sense to sell it as a kit than breaking it up, since there are not too many potential buyers with the right equipment who would want to buy parts of it, but those who are sufficiently desperate might buy the whole set for what they need and sell off the rest.

Actually all of these features make this camera less desirable as it is very heavy, only accepts dedicated lenses in dedicated focusing mounts as well as needing special coupled backs. In NEw York City over the past decade these cameras were fairly common at better dealers but were not very salable as a camera. If you have the right lenses, like the 53mm the lenses were salable and were scavanged for use on other cameras.

Also these cameras; Technika Press, Press 70, Aero 70, Electric 70, do not have any view camera movements so the Super Technika 23 and the Technika 70 were far more salable. As well as being lighter and more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Actually all of these features make this camera less desirable as it is very heavy, only accepts dedicated lenses in dedicated focusing mounts as well as needing special coupled backs. In NEw York City over the past decade these cameras were fairly common at better dealers but were not very salable as a camera. If you have the right lenses, like the 53mm the lenses were salable and were scavanged for use on other cameras.

Also these cameras; Technika Press, Press 70, Aero 70, Electric 70, do not have any view camera movements so the Super Technika 23 and the Technika 70 were far more salable. As well as being lighter and more versatile.
    Well, I understand that the Press 70 is more like an alternative for those people that look for an alternative to a Mamiya 7II, but more stable, less susceptible to failure, with exchangeable magazines - and probably less expensive. As ar as I can see now the price for a Mamiya 7II with the normal lens in good condition mitght be an equivalent for my whole equipment.