Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wide Wide Angle Lenses for 5X7 format

Re: Wide Wide Angle Lenses for 5X7 format

I use the 110 HM Schneider much more often than the 90 mm f:8 Nikkor, and it has inches of room. I used 1/2" to 3/4" of rise with the Nikkor and it was fine, my guess is that anything beyond that might be asking for it. I am developing film from a trip this weekend and have a film holder with just one sheet used so I will shoot a test and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I use the 110 HM Schneider much more often than the 90 mm f:8 Nikkor, and it has inches of room. I used 1/2" to 3/4" of rise with the Nikkor and it was fine, my guess is that anything beyond that might be asking for it. I am developing film from a trip this weekend and have a film holder with just one sheet used so I will shoot a test and find out.
    That would be fantastic Kevin.

Thanks a lot and that 110 HM is a very fine piece of glass.

110 HM ?
    110 XL or 120 HM !

By the way, a friend of mine will probably sell a 72XL, and A 150XL both with center filter... he's living in france.

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    110 HM ?
    110 XL or 120 HM !

By the way, a friend of mine will probably sell a 72XL, and A 150XL both with center filter... he's living in france.
    I sent off my 72XL in new condition for $900 to Europe. Does it happen to be mine he is selling? I'd be interested in it depending on what he is asking. And interested in the 150XL. PM me please.

I think it is the 120 HM he was referring to though he has the 110XL, so maybe it was the 110XL.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    110mm (4 3/8") Dagor - It covers 5x7 with movement.
    Not my experience...the first attached shot (at f/45) with a CP Goerz Berlin 110mm f/7.7 (marked in French system, max 3/5) Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III was a quickie coverage test when I got the lens. Way short, and the really old 7.7 lenses are said to have better coverage.

I find that I have to be very careful with corners with a similar vintage 120mm Dopp-Anastigmat Serie III marked in US system, max 3 (f/6.8?). It covers but any error in centering gives vignetted corners: second shot, f/32.

Wollensak Ex WA 109mm has plenty of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by john wilton View Post
    Not my experience...the first attached shot (at f/45) with a CP Goerz Berlin 110mm f/7.7 (marked in French system, max 3/5) Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III was a quickie coverage test when I got the lens. Way short, and the really old 7.7 lenses are said to have better coverage.

I find that I have to be very careful with corners with a similar vintage 120mm Dopp-Anastigmat Serie III marked in US system, max 3 (f/6.8?). It covers but any error in centering gives vignetted corners: second shot, f/32.

Wollensak Ex WA 109mm has plenty of coverage.
    I like this focal length-110mm or so range. Looks like it gets quite a bit into the frame. I wish the 90's had more coverage or the 90XL wasn't insanely huge on front thread.

Funny how this thread had a number of people agreeing about how wide lenses look strange on 8X10 format, and though it is a squarer format, it's not like we're comparing 810 to 410 when comparing 810 to 57. It's obvious that the second shot would be a fine contact print, and the first would even make a fine contact print. Heck, even the 72XL shot would make a great one!

How well does the Wollensak do with color film emulsions? I'm sure it is plenty sharp enough with b/w.

The 4 3/8" Dagor is a wide angle version. It will cover 100 deg at f45 and is listed to cover 5x7 at f45. It's an f8 lens not f6.8. Probably now sells near the price of a 110 XL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    This one was shot with a 90/8 SA:
    Ole, your Angulon and SA shots got me thinking. I tried my Wolly 4x5 ExWA (12.5/89mm) and 100mm WF Ektar. Stopped down, both miss the corners by about 1/2" (radial). I had assumed that insufficient bellows compression would prevent using my SA-type. But my new bellows have worked in, and I can reach infinity focus. I had thought I'd need to make a recessed board, and use the SA in barrel because the throat of my Korona is so small that a shutter wouldn't fit. I'm excited!

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I've shot the absolutely tiny 4 3/8" f8 W.A. Dagor on 5x7 and it covered more than fine. I can't remember whether I had a coated one, or not (I think I did), but I sold it because I didn't like the colors I got. The coated 103.7mm ex W.A. Raptar that I have OTOH is neutral and seems sharp enough for enlargements (I havent gone past 20x24" yet though), but has a little bit of focus-shift stopped down. The 108mm Cooke is nice all round (and weighs a third of the 110XL to boot). I have used both the 75mm Nikkor SW and the 90mm/f6.8 Grandagon-N in 5x7 but neither give you huge amounts of space for swing or shift. The 75mm only works straight on basically; nice lens though (and it shares its center-filter with the Grandagon).
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."