Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams Print Exhibition - Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Aug-Jan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ansel Adams Print Exhibition - Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Aug-Jan

August 14, 2008 – January 4, 2009
    The Gilcrease Museum is pleased to present a special exhibition featuring 138 iconic prints by the hand of master photographer, Ansel Adams. The works are on loan from the Meredith Collection, Austin, Texas.

Throughout his prolific career, Ansel Adams celebrated the beauty of America’s magnificent landscapes and the spirit of its people. His beloved Yosemite National Park; his hometown, San Francisco; and the vistas of the American Southwest play significant roles in this encyclopedic collection.

Adams was also a keen conservationist, environmental lobbyist and spokesperson for the Sierra Club. His haunting photographs documented a passing natural world and a spirit of place few individuals have experienced first hand.

Plan on exploring the world of this 20th Century Master and enjoying the breathtaking scenic beauty of America.

Re: Ansel Adams Print Exhibition - Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Aug-Jan

Plenty of time to catch this exhibit. For me, it is a rare opportunity to see Adams prints in person. We get some decent fine-art exhibits over here in NW Arkansas but photo exhibits are rare. This will be worth the drive to Tulsa, for us.

Folks in my neck of the wood who might be interested in car-pooling, etc., should feel free to contact me. My local shooting pal, Bruce Appel, will no doubt be happy to go along; the more the merrier.

Best,
    Craig

Eric Biggerstaff

Having grown up in Tulsa I can say it is a small city with a lot of class. Nice museums and the Gilcrease is a great place, I am happy to hear they are having such an exhibit. Hope many in that area go and take this in.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

While touring some renowned museums of Europe, including the Louvre, I kept thinking this about oils by old masters. They're wonderful, but none more so than Thomas Moran's "The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone"

http://arthistory.about.com/od/from_...y/aphnw_14.htm

which I had an opportunity to view at The Gilcrease during a business trip almost 20 years ago. I don't know if that painting is always on display but, if it is, anyone going to see the Adams prints will find their travel doubly worthwhile.

Also in mid-America, an Ansel Adams show can be seen at the Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure in Salina, KS through the first three weeks of August:

"Ansel Adams, The Man Who Captured the Earth's Beauty"

www.rollinghillswildlife.com

Regards,

Kent

The Gilcrease is worth it in itself because of its wonderful collection--Remington sculptures (the copies are a dim candle to the originals), George Caitlin, painter of American plains indians shortly after contact, and many others. Worth the trip. Wish I lived closer.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I'll be headed to Tulsa on Friday, perhaps Saturday, to see this exhibit. Any LFPf members in the area? Even ones I've butted heads with; I'd be very happy to meet up for a brief chat before checking out the show.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonfotodotcom View Post
    I'll be headed to Tulsa on Friday, perhaps Saturday, to see this exhibit.
    Craig, what can you give us as an after action report?

I didn't see above in this thread a mention of when the exhibit closes, but didn't you tell me in a PM that it will run until after the first of the year? I hope I am correct in my recollection, so I will have plenty of time to schedule a trip over there.

I've seen his prints while they were here in California and I must say, I regret not going more than once! It was such an amazing experience!

I visited this exhibition several times here in Austin. It was purchased by Tom Meredith a long time Dell executive and I believe donated or loaned to the Harry Ransom Center at UT Austin. Don't know what he paid for it but it was substantial due to the sheer quantity of images. A large number of classic images very well printed of course and some others I had never seen. Take this in if you possibly can because I think the range of print material gives a somewhat different perspective on AA's body of work.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.