Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need opinions on Caltar 210 f:5.6 lens on 4x5

Need opinions on Caltar 210 f:5.6 lens on 4x5

As to the effect of the silver specs on Schneider lenses, I worry that light from these specs reflects off the individual elements of the lens back into the camera, thus causing flare. Schneider didn't make the adhesion to the lens barrel black for nothing.

Need opinions on Caltar 210 f:5.6 lens on 4x5

Here is a copy of correspondence I had with Schneider on this subject. Start at the bottom for the first message, from me to Schneider. The top message is the last. The short answer is that Schneider considers this a cosmetic flaw and does not repair it under the lifetime warranty.

Erik Ryberg

Subject: Re: My 135 componon-s is separating Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:18:31 -0800 From: "PETER REPICH" <PREPICH@centuryoptics.com> To: <ryberg@seanet.com> CC: "Mary Sberna" <MSBERNA@centuryoptics.com>

Dear Erik.

Mary has asked me to respond to your question. It appears that your enlarging lens has developed white spots on the lens element edge painting. Although the spots will not affect your image, it could be corrected. This is more of a cosmetic rather than a functional problem. The repair will require disassembly and removal of all elements, stripping the old black edge paint, repaint the element edges and reassemble/adjust all functions. On the other hand if(as you mentioned)the lens is separated and you can see a rainbow effect, the lens needs to be replaced. This would be a functional defect and would be covered under warranty - providing that the lens was purchased through Schneider Optics Inc. Life time warranty is in effect if you applied for it through Schneider Optics Inc. USA, after purchase. If you are not sure what the problem is, please forward the lens to: Century Optics, 11049 Magnolia Blvd., North Hollywood, Ca.,91601 Att.: Repair Department.

Sincerely Peter Repich

>>> Erik Ryberg <ryberg@seanet.com> 02/08/02 02:37PM >>> Mary,

Well, I can't know either, as I don't have a good one to compare it with. I guess I was asking a more theoretical question relating to optics than a specific question relating to my specific lens. Does lens separation typically affect performance?

My second question is, do you repair this?

And my third question is, is it covered under the warranty?

Thanks.

Erik

MARY SBERNA wrote: > > Dear Erik: > Quite honestly I dont know, only you would know if its effecting the > performance. > Are you have any problems with the lens?? > Thank you, > Mary > > Mary Sberna > msberna@centuryoptics.com > > >>> Erik Ryberg <ryberg@seanet.com> 02/07/02 07:42PM >>> > Hello, > > I took my 135mm Componon-S enlarging lens, #14,5xx,xxx off the > enlarger > today and noticed a large number of shiny spots where the lens is > glued > to whatever it is glued to. Not dust spots, speckles as if the glue > has > come off. > > Is this affecting the performance of my lens? I have the box and > lifetime warranty still. Is this something you can repair? > > Erik