Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for beginner toward LF

Advice for beginner toward LF

Good morning,

After the traditional 35mm and digital, I would like to get the 4x5 room.

Advices, especially Ken Rockwell would point me towards a Tachihara 4x5. As I am in France and that I would not take equipment that I am not able to verify, I would try to provide me here:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=111

Take the room only a tablet and plans films, and probably an used lens.

And probably also an epson V700.

Does this looks a good choice or do you know where we can provide me for cheaper?

Also, could you tell me where it is better to go for the development and prints for France or Europe? Is the scanner option + digital printing is more interesting qualitative / financially speaking as the traditional printing (cibachrome I presume ..)?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by slides; 14-Jul-2008 at 09:58. Reason: ortograph

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Advice for beginner toward LF

Tachihara 4x5 and V700 sounds like a good combination to me! I have the Epson 4990 (a bit older than the V700 I think) and it scans 4x5 film nicely The Tachihara will probably be a nice camera to start of with, as well as a good one to keep with you if you decide you like large format. I have an 8x10 tachihara and it has been serving me well.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

As you live in France

why don't you go and visit ARCASWISS in Besancon .
    They produce absolutely great gear for LF and as far as I can see for your needs , the MISURA would be great .

Jürgen

I'm gonna make a trial for this format. I've got a glance on the Misura and I think it's too expensive for my purpose...

For used lenses, check the buy & sell forum here. There are always several good lenses for sale from trustworthy members. If you prefer to deal with a storefront, Midwest Photo Exchange or KEH.com are both good choices.

I have a couple lenses posted for sale myself (Schneider 150mm & Schneider 210mm) that would be cheaper for both lenses than what you are looking at paying for one.

I think your choice of the camera and scanner is an excellent one to "make a trial," as far as they let you do the kind of photography you intend.

Badger Graphic is a very reputable dealer as well as Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com). I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if the price (best in the U.S.) makes sense after adding shipping, import tax, and so forth.

Locally, this thread has some recommendations for stores and labs in Paris:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=32773

If you live in Lille on the Belgian border, finding resources (stores and labs to see/try/consult) in Brussels may also be a good thing to try.

There is no need to buy a new camera or lenses. The Tachihara is a great camera (I had one for several years) but you might find it limited.

You can get a used Sinar for the price of a new Tachihara. I did.

For "trial" purposes, I'd also suggest buying a used camera, along with good second-hand lenses and accessories. That way, if you don't like LF, you can sell the equipment for near what you paid.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If you ask this question on the forum at http://www.galerie-photo.com/index.html I'm sure you will get good and relevant answers. They also have a lot of good information about various cameras, equipment et cetera.

Hi,

I started in a very similar way you are considering to some 2 years ago. I was attracted by the Medium format (Mamiya 6) and came across the Ken Rockwells website I knew about this kind of stuff, but only then I realized that it is "real". So today here I am with a Tachihara and some lesnses.

What I can say now is that Tachi is a great choice for landscape photography - very easy to sue and very light too. But you should indeed consider what is your goal before you buy. For architecture, tabletop/macro or interior photography I wold choose a monorail instead. You should not hesitate to get a used camera over THE auction site. I bought mine second hand in Germany (it was just 2 years old). But Ken makes a good point - for the same money you can have a Sinar P (or even P2) with all movements geared (if you need/want that) but of course a few kg heavier. Ken is too modest to point your attention to his website - have a look - a lot of nice photos and tech information that may help you.

For the scanner - I do not have any yet and would advice you not to buy one until you will get a few scans from some cheaper lab where they scan with Imacons and offer scans without any post processing (= cheaper). I am sending my slides HERE and for the price I am happy with the results. My point is - if you after half a year decice that LF just is not your cup of coffe you will manage to sell the camera and lenses basically without a loss, but not the scanner. But if you would like to get one, you may consider the Microtek F1. People report low noise and good Dmax. Personally I would love to get a used Pro flatbed like Screen Cezanne or Creo EverSmart, just it is now out of my price range (actually space range too).

Starting with 150 or 210mm lens is a good idea - you can get a good quality lens for 200 - 300 euro or even less if you are lucky. (Apo Sironar N, Fujinon W, Symmar S, Nikkor W). I started with 210, added 125 later and these two lenses get used for 90% of the shots (the rest is with 400 and 75).

And of course do not forget about the tripod, head, darkcloth, loupe, FILM ....

For the printing - I can not compare the output of analog and digital method (did only digital up to now), but digital is much easier in color than analog - and cheaper too. I guess priting cibachrome requires mastering many techniques. You may find a lab that does that, but it cost a lot, of course. You may consider starting with BW and doing some contact prints (though 4x5 is a bit too small for that).

good luck. Should you have a way through the north Germany - let me know
    Matus