Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did Ansel Adams use?

What did Ansel Adams use?

To pack his 8x10? I know he used a donkey for a short time, but there are stories of him back packing his 8x10 (and glass plates fer 'eavan's sakes!)far away from the Cadillac. What did the Master use to cart his stuff?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What did Ansel Adams use?

A mule, not a donkey. You can rent a mule in Yosemite.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/activiti...backrides.aspx

He had an old (new then) Ford Woody before getting a Cadillac.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    To pack his 8x10? I know he used a donkey for a short time, but there are stories of him back packing his 8x10 (and glass plates fer 'eavan's sakes!)far away from the Cadillac. What did the Master use to cart his stuff?
    A mule as said before but I'm sure he used his assistants as well. When my son gets old enough and strong enough. He will be my mule! OK Boy. Carry that gear over there. Now Haw, Move along!

Michael, perhaps?

John, I was on a Sierra Club high altitude trip in the Sierra in 1956 and my father was "official" photographer. It was, as I recall, around the Virginia Lakes area and Dave Brower was along, before he became disenchanted with the Sierra Club.

The 8x10 was my father's camera of choice for the two week outing, and I recall him being inundated around the evening campfires with questions from folks who wanted to know all about the best way to get a great shot with their 35mm camera. He was not the man to ask, but it was an interesting two weeks.

But more to your question, when we left camp each morning to move up the trail, I had about twenty-five pounds of Artars, Dagors and film holders in my small pack, he had the Ansco and Reis. The lunch was provided, so we had little else to carry, the rest of our gear was on the pack animals.

I do recall the last night of the trip vividly. My father had enough of the campfire chats, and decided that we would not stop at the designated camp. So, we pushed on toward the trailhead, as darkness descended and the altitude increased, and shortly after midnight we arrived at the trailhead and collapsed in the old family Ranchwagon that we had positioned two weeks prior. We were bushed, and later I discovered that in the moonlight, we had crossed a 12,000 foot pass. It was also at this time, at the age of fifteen, that I began to question my father's judgement.

So, there you have it; a complete non answer to your question.

Cheers,
    Merg

Shank's Mare?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Thats a great story Merg!

If I run into Michael, I'll have to ask him!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Thats a great story Merg!

If I run into Michael, I'll have to ask him!
    I agree that was a great story, Merg! It also proved that sons are great mules in some cases.

Marine Boot Camp is one of the best "mule" training centers around.

My son on the trail to Mirror Lake back in '98. "I can carry that for you, Dad." "OK."

I studied with Ansel in the mid 70's and at that time he used a Ford LTD. I have a picture of his license plate somewhere, ZONE V.

Actually in the 70's, due to arthritis , he used his Hasselblads mostly.

Just seen an Exhibition of his work at the Walsall Art Gallery, his work is more impressive upclose in person then when viewed on a computer screen or in a book!

At the end of the day, he had successfully mastered his skill to such a high level, that people like me can only ever dream of producing work like that!