Thread: using instant film -newbie

using instant film -newbie

I'm so new to large format that I don't even have a camera yet. But I am enjoying the whole process of reading, researching and considering what to eventually buy.

Although I once owned a 35mm enlarger, I can't see myself immediately getting one for 5x4 and would need to use a lab or one of the hire-by-the-hour darkrooms in London.

So in the beginning, once I've got the hang of setting up the camera and so on, would instant film be a good way of learning? I know about Polaroid stopping production - what are the alternatives and how does one use them? Does Fuji require a special back or does it go in a regular film holder? I couldn't find much info on this.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: using instant film -newbie

try a search here or google search for fuji fp-100c45 or fp-100c. There's already tons of info on this forum or on apug.org regarding fuji instant films and holders.

Thanks for the pointer - I did find a huge amount of info on the forum once I knew what to look for.

There's so many things to consider when starting out in large format, at least I think I know what I'm looking for in a camera - luckily, there is still a used camera store in my part of town - a real Aladin's Cave, run by a fantastic old-timer who lets me play with gear.

Kathy

Kathy,

Fuji has its own instant film holder but I would only use it if you are going to shoot test shots. Seems instant film is going up in price and if you mess up on a few shots then you will be out a few pounds.

santo

The Fuji instant film back is a PA-45 which can be found on ebay for anywhere between £70 and £140. I find instant film invaluable when composing an image and would recommend this fuji back as a replacement for Polaroid. The fuji film is sold in a cassette of 10 sheets.

I would recommend the PA-145 holder with FP-100c instant print film. The film is a third of the cost of the 4x5 sheets and the FP-100b (black & white) is more readily available then the FP-100b45. I currently have both holders and have considered selling the PA-45 because of the cost of the film but the prints are really nice out that thing. The PA-145 is getting the most use right now while I learn the camera. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by second_nature View Post
    ...there is still a used camera store in my part of town - a real Aladin's Cave, run by a fantastic old-timer who lets me play with gear.

Kathy
    Beware of old timers in caves who let you play with their gear.

Ron Miller

Tony,

Does the PA-145 holder take FP100-c and FP100-B or does it only take the FP100C45?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Flora View Post
    I would recommend the PA-145 holder with FP-100c instant print film. The film is a third of the cost of the 4x5 sheets and the FP-100b (black & white) is more readily available then the FP-100b45. I currently have both holders and have considered selling the PA-45 because of the cost of the film but the prints are really nice out that thing. The PA-145 is getting the most use right now while I learn the camera. Good luck.

Kathy, I have a new-to-me PA-145 holder for a week. Have shot 15 sheets in it. It takes all of the smaller ones, FP-100c (color film), FP-100b (BW film), FP-3000b (ISO 3000 BW film) and FP-400b (ISO 400 BW film available only in Japan, or through MegaPearls webshop). It's really wonderful, especially for portraits. Even my wife, which has a rather cold attitude to my photo hobby is amazed by the results (and is getting significantly warmer to it).

And no, you can not use the 45 films in this holder (be it FP-100c45 or FP100b45). For that you need the Fuji PA-45 holder. But the 4x5 instant film is disproportionately more expensive, than the smaller 3x4" (roughly) film used in the PA-145 holder. I think that one is the way to go for us on budget...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

for me, in the beginning, the PA-145 is getting all the use. It's $10 a box versus $30 for the 4x5 prints. I believe they make the b&w instant print in the 4x5 but I can't find it anywhere.