Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every once in a while you get to hit a home run.

Every once in a while you get to hit a home run.

Tully

I've been hesitant to post this here since it is a 120 neg. Below is what I posted over at Open Photography Forum so that the family could get to it via a link and have a look.

D session 2007 Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. Bob Tully devoted the best he had to this railroad. By summer of last year I knew he wouldn't be around forever. He was sitting in front of the Depot in Chama NM talking to a lady and when the conversation was finished they both started in different directions and I told Bob I needed him to sit right there for a minute while I made a picture of him. We lost him this July 4th.

The only camera I took on this trip was a little Minolta Autocord TLR. I had exhausted my supply of film and all I had left was a roll of Kodak Tech Pan. I knew this was an important picture and I didn't want to screw it up. Tech Pan is notoriously fussy. When the news came this weekend that we had lost this special man I really wanted to see this picture. I found some Technidol LC upstairs and carefully developed the roll.

Bob will be sorely missed. He was a terrific spirit. All gruff and 20 grit sandpaper but inside you knew he was pure sweetness.

Bob's wife Mona sent this e-mail to my brother in law, John Cole and he forwarded it to me.

Dear John: We all want to thank you so very much for all the kind things you have done and said about Bob, and starting the marvelous comments on the ng discussion group. I can not post any thing, but we are printing them off and our kids find them especially comforting, as do I. Bob would be very embarrassed reading them, because he never thought of himself as doing anything special, just wanted to do things "right". He loved the Railroad and the Friends, and he thought so highly of almost everyone there. He always felt that the shop crew and the engine crew never got the appreciation they deserved. They were the ones that really did the work.

The picture of Bob in front of the Depot is the most marvelous one I have ever seen of him. I can't begin to express my appreciation to Jim for sending it on. It is a picture that he would have been very proud to have, and we have sent it on to our family. It is totally unique. It expresses so many of the values he had -- stubborn, visionary, positive and even rugged. Thank you so very much.

We do not have any time table for services yet. He did not want any formal funeral, but he did want to have a good party or wake. We will have a Mass for him, but we still are looking for arrangements for the party.

Thanks again for all you kind help. He enjoyed your visits and admired your total dedication to the cause. Thank you again, Mona

Kind of makes it all worthwhile I'm sure glad I made THAT picture THAT day.

wfwhitaker

Re: Every once in a while you get to hit a home run.

That's a good'un Jim. Good thing you were packing some 120 heat and didn't forsake the opportunity for lack of LF.

120 is simply smaller, but it doesn't mean worse.

A beauty.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Convert to LF

I saw this portrait on the OPF and I am glad you share it with our large-formatter colleagues. 'cause I can enjoy it again.

Serge

Sometimes a picture really is about the subject, and nothing else. A lovely portrait and it's very satisfying to know that his family has it to remember him by.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Jim, A really wonderful tribute all around. Thanks for posting this.

Jim, this is a wonderful portrait regardless of format and it has so much meaning for all his family and friends. Thanks for sharing with us.

Great job on the careful development too.

Smile Re: Every once in a while you get to hit a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by photobulley View Post
    Jim, this is a wonderful portrait regardless of format and it has so much meaning for all his family and friends. Thanks for sharing with us.

Great job on the careful development too.
    I agree completely. A good reason (and incentive) for all of us who take pictures at gatherings to print and show them.

Sharing this great photo is much appreciated. Proves the value of photography, priceless.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

A wonderful portrait, Jim! He looks like he had quite a life, and his spirit is still showing through. Capturing that, making a beautiful photograph besides, and giving something special to his family, yep, I'd say it's a homer!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."