Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Architecture field camera, what woulb you recommend ?

shootin' cars and large format

Question Architecture field camera, what woulb you recommend ?

I'm looking for a portable little 4x5 camera with enough movements for some relatively serious architectural work and cheap enough to fit my very restrained "just finished my studies" budget, does anyone have suggestions ? I use a wista 45D right now but it's pretty old and although I've fixed everything up as well as I could it is'nt rigid enough for serious work and the front standard has been slightly bent so I'm never quite sure that my setup will hold when I put a film holder in. I'm thinking of a wista SP if I can find one cheap enough, what do you guys think ?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Architecture field camera, what woulb you recommend ?

I am a huge fan of the used Toyo 45G monorail I bought a few months back. It has been made all the better with a bag bellows and recessed lens board I added. I bought it all from KEH.com and I don't think I have put more than $500 for the set-up. This doesn't include a lens. I use a Nikkor SW 120. There isn't a position I cannot get that camera in with that lens. And it really isn't that heavy of a set-up either, in my opinion.

Stephan, you're looking for a camera for "relatively serious" architecture work with lots of movements, cheap and portable, ie field. I'm afraid those 3 request don't usually come together and you'll have to compromise. I'd recommend sacrifying portability and getting a monorail (Sinar F's and Norma's are cheap nowadays).
    Last edited by Antonio Corcuera; 9-Jul-2008 at 09:28. Reason: typo

The Calumet CC-402 wide angle view camera is not as portable as a field camera but has the movements needed for "relatively serious" architectural work. As view cameras go, thaey are light and portable. Even though they are now quite old, they stand up very well and Calumet still supports them. They show up on eBay fairly often.

Downstairs

An Ebony SW45. Mainly because it is sure-square fore and aft. Also good for short lenses and fast on the draw because it's non-folding. Nice combination with a Super Symmar 100mm.

An Ebony SW45
    That's your cheap camera recommendation?

I would suggest the Calumet Wide field as Ernest mentioned above for a real cheap but functional architecture camera. It will handle a 47 with full movements on a flat lens board and is still supported by Calumet. I used one as my primary business camera for many years and I think I paid $175.00 for it?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    That's your cheap camera recommendation?

I would suggest the Calumet Wide field as Ernest mentioned above for a real cheap but functional architecture camera. It will handle a 47 with full movements on a flat lens board and is still supported by Calumet. I used one as my primary business camera for many years and I think I paid $175.00 for it?
    Kirk,
    Was it a field or the wide monorail? The wide monorail is a really neat, usable camera and has a rotating back and I'd like to find a clean one. I have the standard monorail in two guises just as collectables, one is a Calumet and the other is a Kodak, both in literally mint condition and I only paid around $125 for each. They are extremely functional cameras and the rail can be cut shorter to stow better if one doesn't need full extension..Evan Clarke

Evan, it was (I still have it actually) a "Wide Field", which has the front standard reversed and the lens board recessed, a universal type short bellows, and a short rail. It is truely designed for architecture. I primarily used it with roll film backs. It was very functional. Over the years i bought a few more for parts, as we worked this one pretty hard, but never paid more than $200 for one and as little as $150. It kind of like the Volkswagon of architectural cameras.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Evan, it was (I still have it actually) a "Wide Field", which has the front standard reversed and the lens board recessed, a universal type short bellows, and a short rail. It is truely designed for architecture. I primarily used it with roll film backs. It was very functional. Over the years i bought a few more for parts, as we worked this one pretty hard, but never paid more than $200 for one and as little as $150. It kind of like the Volkswagon of architectural cameras.
    Hi Kirk,
    Yes, that's the camera, short rail and a soft, tapered bellows..A fine camera...EC