Thread: Shadows

Shadows

Hi Everyone

My name is Eric. I'm new to this forum. Only found it but it looks like a good place to speak to fellow photographers

I've got a question.

I'm using elinchrom lights and accessories for my fashion and beauty work. Recently I wanted to do a new head shots with some shadows across the face. Kind of lines going on across the model's face. I really struggle with this. Every time i use a new reflector I get 2 shadows from each flag used. There is a lighter shadow following the main one. I believe the unwanted one, the lighter shadow, is created by the silver reflector's surface and the dark one by the flash tube itself.

Would you have any idea how I could lose the lighter one? Is there any reflector not creating it which I havent tried yet?

Eric

Re: Shadows

Can you post some examples?

Are you using the reflectors that come with the lights, or soft boxes? What is your set up?

If you're using two such reflectors, they are very efficient and the fill is possibly too close and is producing the second, lighter shadow. Back it off and it will remain a fill light, but reduce the the shadow.

It's also possible that the silver reflector is way too close. Switch to a white card such as foam core and back it off a bit to see what happens.

Also, placement of either lights or reflectors can effect how the fill does or does not create secondary shadows. You'll likely be better off with just one light and the white refelctor.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I used a few different reflectors and still the same problem. A white beauty dish was the best but not exactly what I'm after. Still creating the lighter shadow. I even used zoom spot. It gave me only one shadow but the light was far to heavy for a head shot. The skin looked horrible.

Have anyone worked with Fresnel Spot? Could that be a solution?

Cheers

You need to turn your light source into one single continuous evenly illuminated source. A diffuser or softbox would create a large surface with one simple shadow, and a fresnel spot like you mention would give you a more defined shadow edge. Another possibility is to shoot bare bulb.

C

Downstairs

I don't have a fresnel so I use bare bulb in a black rolled paper snoot for the blinds effect. that's about the pointiest source you can get. Use a snoot otherwise light spills all over the place.