Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod question

Tripod question

I've seen photographers using those old heavy wooden tripods for 4x5 cameras. My question is this. Do you think you will get a sharper image with the old wooden style tripod or a Bogan Manfrotto. I use the Bogan and it seems to be fine but I would like to try one of old woodys just to see if their is a difference. Anybody have any info on the subject? I can't imagine lugging around one of those heavy woodys.

Re: Tripod question

There are flimsy wooden tripods and some flimsy Bogen/Manfrottos. There are also B/Ms that would hold a howitzer steady. There are dozens of Manfrotto models, which one are you talking about and what format are you using?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Bogan Manfrotto 190D/0G23 is written on the leg. Have you ever used a "good" woody and found a difference?

Ries tripods are very solid, more than Berlebach and Wolf I'd say. I haven't seen a Gandolfi wooden tripod, but they made them, and perhaps still do. There are also some older wooden cine tripods that are probably pretty good, but I haven't tried them myself. I think Mitchell made a wooden tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    Bogan Manfrotto 190D/0G23 is written on the leg. Have you ever used a "good" woody and found a difference?
    AND what format are you using? It makes a difference whether you use a woody or a modern carbon fiber.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

4x5 Wista field view

I've read that wooden tripods will dampen vibrations while metal ones will transmit them. Sounds accurate. I suspect carbon fiber would also dampen. Wood certainly looks good with a wooden field camera, but I like rubber feet, and most wooden tripods have naked spikes.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Nice camera!

As a practical matter I don't see much difference in stability between a good heavy wood tripod and a good heavy metal tripod. I haven't had any experience with carbon fiber though (nearly all my stuff is bought well used and carbon fiber hasn't yet trickeled down to my strata on the photo food chain )
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It depends on the design. I've had lightweight wood tripods and early carbon fiber ones too that would carry vibrations rather than dampen them. Most recent CF tripods are very good. For a 4x5 field tripod I am currently using a carbon fiber Manfrotto 055 MF3, which is half the weight and twice a s rigid as anything I have owned previously and it kills vibration almost instantly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I've read that wooden tripods will dampen vibrations while metal ones will transmit them. Sounds accurate. I suspect carbon fiber would also dampen. Wood certainly looks good with a wooden field camera, but I like rubber feet, and most wooden tripods have naked spikes.
    Ries have rubber and spikes. All you have to do is reverse the lower parts.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White