Thread: (Another) Tripod question!

(Another) Tripod question!

I want to change my old 055 Manfrotto for CF tripod. I’m thinking about Velbon 630 or 635. Currently I’m using 3-way 808RC4 head and want to keep it. I wonder is that tripod suitable for Toyo AX?
    Michal Makowski

Re: (Another) Tripod question!

There are, of course, lots of CF options out there. I just bought the Feisol 3301 CF pod from Kerry Thalmann's Really Big Cameras ( http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Feisol ), and am really happy with it. Not the least part of that satisfaction is that the thing sells for an incredibly reasonable price. You can check out the specs for yourself, but it barely notices I've got a Shen-Hao 4x5 on it, and is as rigid as I'll ever need it to be. (For gale, and hurricane photography, I'll use a different kit altogether! )
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

I am currently changing my 055 as well. It is not bad tripod, weight does not bother me, however column and its rigidity drives me crazy, even when it is completely down its top plate flexes no matter how hard the column is tighten.
    I don't know anything about Velbon 630/635, have one old Velbon, after few years of very light use plastic parts are broken (still works great as a stand for GPS antenna).
    After some research I have ordered Gitzo 3540XLS. One reason, in addition to quality, is it's height (and no column), in my area there are lots of rocks and nice boulders that usually can accommodate myself and two tripod legs, possibility of extending one leg will be very handy. I just learned from Jim (mpex) that I will get new 3541XLS, I am not sure what this jump from 0 to 1 means but I hope it won't be worse than the other version - specs sound exactly the same.
    Last edited by Jerzy Pawlowski; 30-Jun-2008 at 21:44.

Downstairs

Have a look at a video tripod. Video people, like LF people, need to get the thing level.
    The cup and ball gets you level. Add a pan plate. No head. The legs adjust faster than tubes.
    Last edited by cjbroadbent; 16-Sep-2008 at 06:38.

John, I was thinking about Feisol, I know if you put together prices of all CF tripods, the Feisol is the winner (price/quality ratio). I my case to the price of the tripod I will have to add all additional costs: international shipping, custom tax, VAT tax = 22% !!!!. So the price will be much higher. I can buy Velbon 630 for 315$.
    Jerzy, statywy Gizo niestety sa daleko poza moim zasiegiem finansowym, ale zawsze warto pomarzyc ;-)
    Christopher, I was looking at video tripod they are great in terms of stability, but they are heavier than “normal” photographic tripod.
    Michal Makowski

After looking at the Velbons and others, I picked up the Gitzo GT-2941 Basalt a few months ago and love it. It's sturdy, light, and versatile.
    Mike