Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Centered hole technika-style recessed lens bords (3rd party)

Thumbs down REPORT: Centered hole technika-style recessed lens bords (3rd party)

Hi, I would just like to share my experience with a 3rd party technika style recessed lens boards. I got one cheap over the austion site with 19mm recession (11mm is also available). There were to versions to choose from - centered and off-centered (like org. Linhof ones). As I am using Tachihara 4x5 - I did not want to get the off-ceter one as that would mean to loose 7mm of front rise (my bellows prefers front fall unfortunately). So I took the one with centered hole. After it arrived I found out that the release plunger (or how is that thing called) works not in the best way, but in principle after small adjustements of the length of the S shaped rod it worked fine.

But the catch 22 was an unexpected one: Thanks to the fact that the hole is centered the space around the top of the shutter where the little notch for cooking the shutter is located is too narrow and you simply can not cook the shutter. At least not a Copal 0 in which my beautifull Grandagon n75/4.5 N is installed. Otherwise the material and finish is OK. It just does not work ....

So - now I am in the marked for a used original LInhof recessed lens board. I just do not know how deep is the recession (was there just one version or two ...? )
    Matus

Re: REPORT: Centered hole technika-style recessed lens bords (3rd party)

Matus, can you rotate the shutter and reposition the release mechanism? I.e. put the cocking lever at the bottom or side?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Matus, can you rotate the shutter and reposition the release mechanism? I.e. put the cocking lever at the bottom or side?
    It would not help - the hole is centered inside the round recession ...
    Matus

Linhof makes 3 recessed Technika style lensboards. All for lenses in Copal shutters. In the past they made 2 recessed boards. One for Copal and one for Compur shutters. The recess was identical for both.

The current boards are available with 3 different recess depths. The correct board for your lens would be the 001015 Comfort board. Older 001015 boards may not work with your shutter if you get the Compur version of this board. The boards are not marked so buy the current one. While more expensive you will be much happier with it as most controls and the aperture scale are on the front surface of the board and the wire for the cable release is changed to a screw-in cable release extension.

<< you simply can not cook the shutter >>
    This is the surprise of Chinese meals.

- Bob -

thank you. But do you know how deep is the recession of the "001015" lens board ?

What is actually the difference between Compur and Copal versions of the 001015 lens board? Is there a chance to recognize them? I have only managed to find the Compur version on the web and the price is just out of question even considering the weak $ ... It will be after all sitting on the Tachihara, not Master Technika ...

thanks.

- Dominique -

Last edited by Matus Kalisky; 30-Jun-2008 at 08:11. Reason: more questions :-)
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    - Bob -

thank you. But do you know how deep is the recession of the "001015" lens board ?

What is actually the difference between Compur and Copal versions of the 001015 lens board? Is there a chance to recognize them? I have only managed to find the Compur version on the web and the price is just out of question even considering the weak $ ... It will be after all sitting on the Tachihara, not Master Technika ...

thanks.

- Dominique -

12mm.

There is no visible difference between the Compur specific and the Copal/Compur specific versions other then if you have the wrong one the shutter will rub against the recess. Once they are out of the plastic bag that the board is delivered in there is no identifying marks on the boards to tell them apart. And the Comfort version is more then the Compur version so be sure of which you saw on the web.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    But the catch 22 was an unexpected one: Thanks to the fact that the hole is centered the space around the top of the shutter where the little notch for cooking the shutter is located is too narrow and you simply can not cook the shutter. At least not a Copal 0 in which my beautifull Grandagon n75/4.5 N is installed. Otherwise the material and finish is OK. It just does not work ....
    Identical experience with a 90/4.5 Nikkor. Currently awaiting an off-centred replacement. If it is the same seller as mine, he will happily exchange for you.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Identical experience with a 90/4.5 Nikkor. Currently awaiting an off-centred replacement. If it is the same seller as mine, he will happily exchange for you.
    Dirk
    Well, the seller I have in mind has currently no lensboards out there and I do not know how much sense does it make to send something relatively cheap back to China ... I actually consider buying another off-center generic lensboard from a different seller (this one: 350074824448) as it seems that it is impossible to recognize the older Copal versus Compur type Lihof recessed lens boards and the new are just priced way too high for me (close to the price of the lens I have paid).
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique Cisari View Post
    << you simply can not cook the shutter >>
    This is the surprise of Chinese meals.
    A French guy making fun of a German guy's use of English. I love it!

Actually, Dominique sounds more Italian. We live in an increasingly smaller world, don't we?. I once met a young German in Canada name Guido (his mother liked the name even though it was Italian)