I posted one on the BSO post.
    Boston Symphony Orchestra? I'm guessing you mean this one--

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...6&postcount=42

Re: Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Boston Symphony Orchestra?

good one

I had my old Gitzo 1227 and Makins head stolen recently, and I took this as a chance to buy new tripod and head - Gitzo 3540 and Multiflex.

However, I found that the head movement has a little play with the 'manual base tilt' at zero position. At its zero position the head can play about 1/2 mm upward even if I fully tighten the knob. Do you have the same?

I think I'll call the manufacturer and if necessary visit them (they are 10km from my office on the way to my home), but I would like to know if it's only my problem.

Other than that, all other movements are smooth, there's no backlash with any gear movement.

If I have the base tilt at 0 or at the full 60 degrees, it locks tight. If it is partially up, there appears to be a little play.

There is a small block of brass colored metal on the rod (which is connected to the lock knob) which has a small triangular tab sticking out. The triangular tab appears to grab the supporting arm at 60 degrees or a lip on the frame at 0 degrees. It doesn't take hardly any effort to lock the head. If too much force were applied it looks like either the triangular tab or the metal it locks against would be unnecessarily dented.

The movement, when the head is in between 0 and 60 appears to come from the pivots on the arms, not from the locking mechanism.

Sorry to hear you had your gear stolen.

I think the AS Cube comes with a lever lock quick release. My Multiflex has a quick release that tightens by turning a knob. It looks like the quick release adapter could be removed and replaced with a RRS adapter but I'm not sure about the hole sizes.

The Manfroto 410 head weighs 2.7 lbs and is rated to support 11.1 lbs. I believe Songyun found a published weight of 950g for the Photoclam Multiflex. The design of the cube/multiflex tends to keep the weight centered over the head so if your camera is balanced about the tripod adapter, there wouldn't be any significant force in a direction that would cause anything to flex or rotate. It looks like the weight limit would be determined by how much force the gear drive could withstand without being damaged.

Jeff Keller

[QUOTE=butterflydream;365479]

However, I found that the head movement has a little play with the 'manual base tilt' at zero position. At its zero position the head can play about 1/2 mm upward even if I fully tighten the knob. Do you have the same?

QUOTE]

Thanks, Jeff, for detailed explanation.

My problem was solved automatically(?), without knowing the reason. I just played with it and it locked tight. Now I understood the mechanism.

This is nice head and is quite addictive. This new head makes me feel a bit better with stolen old makins head and gitzo.

I just discovered the phone no. I posted had a typo. Sukue Jeong can be contacted at: 201-220-0609 or photoclam@gmail.com

Jeff Keller

I don't see how Arca could patent a double goniometer which is already well known.

http://www.newport.com/store/genprod...ction=Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Schaubild View Post
    I don't see how Arca could patent a double goniometer which is already well known.

http://www.newport.com/store/genprod...ction=Graphics
    Yeah.. esspecialy since that very link shows a U.S. Patent 6,601,524 in it. <grins>
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    I just discovered the phone no. I posted had a typo. Sukue Jeong can be contacted at: 201-220-0609 or photoclam@gmail.com

Jeff Keller
    Jeff,

What country is that Phone number in ? The US? Not known in South Korea anyway.