Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing Your Format ...

Re: Choosing Your Format ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    How do you guys choose which format you're going to use ?

For instance, this weekend I plan to photograph at a historic village site, which has lot's of old buildings and few people. So which format should I use ? (Rhetorical question).

So how do you guys decide which format to use ?

I certainly don't need autofocus, so Nikon's stay home, I could use MF (Mamiya 7ii or 'blad) or LF. If I use LF, should I take my 5x7 or my 8x10.

So I started asking myself, why would I take an 8x10 ? What does that do that the 5x7 can't ? Do I need a visually complex subject to suit the larger neg ? Or does it come down to the output ?

Quick and easy - digital. Contact printing - 5x7 for a small, 8x10 for a large print ?

Then again, I haven't used my Leica R8 or M6 which are both a joy to use.

I know ... I have too many cameras ... if there is such a concept !?!
    Are the building such that the movements offered by your LF cameras would be beneficial? Which LF format do you have that has the best selection of lenses and movements (front rise, I'm guessing) for architecture?

Will you be shooting interiors and will you need to cart around lighting equipment?

Are the people going to let you take their pictures? Are they reinactors? Or are they villagers who dislike outsiders?

IS there a reason for big negatives? Do you plan on making huge enlargements? Contact prints?

How invasive are you willing to be? Are you bent on carrying around a tripod and film holders or would you prefer the spontaniety of handheld photography?

It's all stuff to consider.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Downstairs

If your'e not taking an 8x10, you might as well stitch digital. So there are no excuses: take 8x10.

Thinking about it ...

This question really arises from the worst case of 'photographers block' I've ever encountered. I'm at a point where I'm questioning why I photograph. In the past, in similar situations, I've used the sheer mechanics of large format to help me through the loss of vision. Now that isn't even helping.

Thankfully this hasn't affected my wedding work, but maybe my wedding work has affected my 'real' photography ...

Thanks for all that have responded with pragmatism, but I believe I need to work on some philosophy ...