Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodie

Paul Cocklin

Bodie

I'm heading to Bodie tomorrow for a couple of days. Just wondering if there are places to camp close to the town without driving all the way to Bridgeport or Lee Vining. Also, any specific suggestions? I'm gonna spend a couple of days there, so I think I'll be able to get to everything, but I'll be lugging around an 8x10, MF and 35mm, so I'll be walking slow.

Thanks for any advice you care to share.

Paul

Re: Bodie

Not as far as Lee Vining, but still quite a drive from Bodie, my favorite camp ground in the area is Trumbull Lake. The Virginia Lake Resort cafe across the road serves excellent pie. Ahhh, If I could only be there now, sleeping under the stars!

Bodie would be perfect terrain for something like moderator Ralph Barker's baby jogger contraptions for carting around your gear.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

3d Visual Effects artist

Hope you get some great photographs, I look forward to seeing some! I'm hoping to go up there sometime myself as well!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

The soil at Bodie is moderately soft, so conventional rolling cases don't work well. Unfortunately, that's all I had at the time. I later found a folding golf cart that works fairly well, and has wide wheels.

As I recall, there is a National Forest site part way up the road to Bodie, near the Bristlecone Pines, but I don't recall if there are camping facilities there. You should be able to find it on a map, however.

I second the Viginia Lake cafe has four cabins and the campground...the owner Jim has been very accommodating..staying open for us in off season, etc.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Scott Davis

There's also a campground at Lundy Canyon, a little further on past Virginia Lakes Road. All I'll say for it is that it exists- I did not stay there so I have no opinion on the facilities. I just drove through it on my way up the canyon, which has a dazzling alpine lake buried back in behind the reservoir and the campground.

I want to know more about this alleged pie. Just kidding. Everyone knows that donuts are the most important photographic accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    As I recall, there is a National Forest site part way up the road to Bodie, near the Bristlecone Pines, but I don't recall if there are camping facilities there. You should be able to find it on a map, however.
    There are Bristlecone pines on the road to Bodie? I didn't think the elevation was high enough in the area for them.

-Darren

There aren't any Bristlecones on the road to Bodie. They are further south out of Big Pine where the elevation is higher

I also don't think there is a campground up either road to Bodie.

Come on Barker, if you are going to post get the info correct. Posting wrong info could get somebody who relies on the info into a lot of trouble. For everyone's safety this type of info should always be checked out beforehand.

The real campgrounds suggested by others are good and there are motels in Lee Vining as well. There is also a campground/trailer park in Lee Vining with showers.

steve simmons

Try the Virginia Creek Settlement. It offers motel, cabin and campground, and is located about one mile north of the turn-off from Highway 395 to Bodie. I will be staying there next month while attending a workshop in Bodie.

www.virginiacrksettlement.com

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com