Thread: LPL Power Supply

LPL Power Supply

While living in England I purchased a Saunders/LPL 4500 enlarger which has a power supply for 240v. When I moved back to the States, I bought a 120v power supply through that well-known online auction. However, the outlet connector from the lamp house to the English power supply is a two-pronged male plug (enclosed in a housing shaped something like an arrow). The female receptacle on the USA power supply, however, is a four-pin receptacle. Any suggestions for a (reasonable) solution?

Photos of the two power supplies and their receptacles are attached. The USA unit is on the left, the English unit on the right.

Cheers, Dave

Re: LPL Power Supply

Saunders was the LPL distributor in the USA. Have you asked them (now Satter Omega) or a local camera store?

Is the US power supply also 24VAC?

If so, then it may just be a matter of putting a new plug on the enlarger head.

What I would do is open up the US supply and see why it has a 4 prong plug. That is, does it supply two things at different voltages, etc. Anyway, I would just figure out which two prongs supply the 24vac and put a new 4-prong plug on the enlarger and wire up the appropriate two prongs to match up with the 24v prongs on the supply.

Dave, I had problems with my power supply unit 2 yrs ago. I called everywhere with no help from anyone. I finally , by accident ,got a fellow on the phone from omega. Omega bought out Saunders. He gave me the phone number of the company that manufacters the power supply unit. I would suggest you call them. Their phone and address are as follows:
    Hazlo Electronics
    49 ST. Bridgets DR
    Rochester, NY 14605-1838
    (585) 325-5323

They usually dont pick up the phone, its a little difficult and slow to deal with them but I got what I needed in the end. Hope this helps. Its a great enlarger as you probably already know but the power supply adds a element of frustration when its not working.

The only reason for needing 4 connections to a enlarger head is if the head is fan cooled and the fan runs continuously when the power supply is on. 24v is a common voltage for quartz enlarger bulbs.

The US version uses an EYA bulb that runs at 82V, and the other connections supply 120V to the fan. You might be better off getting a step-down transformer so you can use the 240V power supply.

The thing that needs to be determined is what voltage the fan and bulb in the European model are. I would guess that both are the same voltage since it has only two connectors between the power supply and the head which is unlike the four connectors on the US model...I would guess that the US model runs on 82 volts for the lamp and 120 volts for the fan. I could pull mine apart and check voltages if that would help.

The European model undoubtedly steps down the 240 volt to something lower...but what that voltage is needs to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    The thing that needs to be determined is what voltage the fan and bulb in the European model are. I would guess that both are the same voltage since it has only two connectors between the power supply and the head which is unlike the four connectors on the US model...I would guess that the US model runs on 82 volts for the lamp and 120 volts for the fan. I could pull mine apart and check voltages if that would help.

The European model undoubtedly steps down the 240 volt to something lower...but what that voltage is needs to be determined.
    It is stamped on the euro chassis, under the connector "24v" and also says on the plate "AC 24v." The other designation, I think is just watts. That is the units of, "200VA" translate to (I think) VOLTS x AMPS which is the rating WATTS.

I like JimL's idea, but he would need a 200w 'step up' transformer. http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...agetransformer

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Bruce Barnbaum suggested that I contact Greg Blank at Omega/Satter - the distributer for LPL in the States. I emailed him yesterday and he replied first thing this morning. If I send them the Fan-Lamp portion from the Lamp Housing (and a pile of cash), and they can do the conversion for the American power supply. I was impressed with their quick and helpful response. Once again, Bruce Barnbaum and LPL come up trumps.

you can lead a horse to water but you cant always make him drink