Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Foto3 contest and traditional/conceptual divide

Re: Foto3 - Competition/Website Disclaimer

Is there somewhere where these winners are posted?

As I said, the Grand Prize winner has been notified and the photo was on the conference program guide.

The judges were Gary Huibregtse from CSU and Eric Paddock who is the Curator of Photography at the Denver Art Museum. If you have any doubts please contact them directly. I am sorry that the doubts of a few seem to want to discredit the efforts of so many people and of an event that was enjoyed by so many people.

steve simmons

jetcode

Steve ...

I think a class at a conference on how a curator of photography thinks, what choices they make, how they see a photograph, what makes an exceptional photograph, etc would be interesting.

It is fairly obvious to me that people who travel in these circles utilize a much different set of criteria when selecting an image than the average photography community member.

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    As I said, the Grand Prize winner has been notified and the photo was on the conference program guide.
    So what you are saying is "no", the winners are not posted anywhere for all to see?

If so, why? Is there a reason?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve ...

I think a class at a conference on how a curator of photography thinks, what choices they make, how they see a photograph, what makes an exceptional photograph, etc would be interesting.

We, at every conference, have a seminar on presenting your work to museums, galleries, and publishers.

Everyone out there has to show there work to people who make decisions about it - show it, don't show it, publish it, don't publish it. That is life.

So what you are saying is "no", the winners are not posted anywhere for all to see?

As I have said many, many times that the Grand Prize winner was on the conference program guide.

steve simmons

I guess the entry fee didn't include any publicity beyond the show and the printed program (the names are TBA in the draft program on the foto3-2008 website).

So would anyone who attended care to reveal who the three winners were, so that if they happen to be people we know, we can congratulate our friends?

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I guess the entry fee didn't include any publicity beyond the show and the printed program (the names are TBA in the draft program on the foto3-2008 website).

So would anyone who attended care to reveal who the three winners were, so that if they happen to be people we know, we can congratulate our friends?
    I want to see the images ... to know what drove the competition itself ...

There is not any way we can put all the images up. The entries have been returned, some weeks ago. To put up just the winners out of context would only invite endless second guessing. This was never promised. If this was something people wanted it should have been asked for ahead of time.

steve simmons

Scott Davis

There is not any way we can put all the images up. The entries have been returned, some weeks ago. To put up just the winners out of context would only invite endless second guessing. This was never promised. If this was something people wanted it should have been asked for ahead of time.

steve simmons
    But showing the names and the images of the winners of any photo contest is standard practice. Not doing so at least gives the appearance of having something to hide.

As I have said many, many times that the Grand Prize winner was on the conference program guide.
    I do not understand your evasiveness Mr. Simmons. Is there something you are trying to hide? Why is it you cannot answer a simple question? I'm certain there are many that would like this information made public considering you took money from people, yet cannot bring yourself to tell them who actually won. Can you not see how this leads people to believe there is some impropriety? Why not just inform us and move on?

I would also think that those that won would like their images and accomplishment made public. Just what did they get for their entrance fee?