Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine suggestions?

Re: View Camera Magazine suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Art and I have never met.
    Oh, Steve, Steve, Steve, what graves we dig ... So you don't remember glaring at me at Photo Plus Expo last year, when I was talking to Ted? You just stared at me without saying a peep about 2-3 feet away? Go ahead and deny it. I dare ya.

Regards, Art.

I don't know who you are or what you look like and I have never been introduced to anyone named Art Liem. If we did ever speak it would have been only in passing, not anything that would make me claim to have met or know you.

steve simmons

Steve, I'd love to see more articles on large format portraiture. I realize it's a small nich in today's world but I know there are quite a few photographers still utilizing large format for their portrait images.

Steve, I'd love to see more articles on large format portraiture. I realize it's a small nich in today's world but I know there are quite a few photographers still utilizing large format for their portrait images.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will followup on this. I enjoy doing portraits with large format - it is a different experience for the photographer and the subject than when the portrait is done with a smaller camera.

steve simmons

Just waiting to be developed..

Steve,

I wanted to thank you for putting out one of the best magazines dedicated to our group.
    I have worked (still do) in the magazine/publishing/pre press industry. I know how hard it is to produce a magazine let alone keep it going for more than a couple of years. So many good ones come an go. Its nice to see a great one thrive! The only issue i have had with VC is the occasional spelling mistake. It happens, but its something to keep an eye out for.
    I would also like to see more articles about LF portraits, darkroom, marketing and ULF.

I am proud to be a subscriber and plan to be for the long haul.
    Thank you again Steve for keeping up the good work!

Mike,
    Its funny you should mention LF portrait photography. One of my best clients shoots celebrity and commercial portraits on 4x5 and 8x10.
    Also a good chunk of my other clients do the same. From my end (scanning them), I see a resurgence in large format portraits. It seems to brings out more emotion and a better end product. I see more and more of my clients shooting 4x5 portraits instead of medium format. I would also love to see more articles in VC about it. I have been shooting 4x5 portraits for a family book. They have a look and feel that i cant duplicate in 645.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Ron Miller

As a newbie, I want to throw in my 2 cents. It might be worth a bit less then that, you be the judge. Here goes...
    I'm 46 and never picked up a camera before 4 years ago and that was a cheap digital so that I could take pics of wiring in a car I was restoring. I traded up to another Nikon digital and really got into it as a hobby. My job is technical so I loved the depth of knowledge as well as the art required to even satisfy yourself let alone others. But I have always loved B&W and digtal B&W just turns me off. The flat lifeless look (personal opinion). So a friend at work got me looking into film and I chose MF and I just took off to the point where my digital is considered added weight on trips. He also said that given what he knows about me, I would soon be in 8x10. Damned if be wasn't almost right. So now I have a 4x5 and am waiting on a Chamonix from Hugo and I am absorbing all I can in this brave new world.

My point is that I am not alone. This 4x5 I have now is a Speed Graphics with little movement and I shoot landscapes mostly. Whil I was searching for LF equipment, I came across a LOT of people that were just entering LF and MF as weel for almost the same reasons I am. More control, potentially more dynamic range, because it fits with our thoughtful approach to what we love doing, the fact that film is at the top of its game while digital is still in its infancy, and that you need to truely understand how to achieve your goal (no histograms allowed).

I was shocked at how many people were entering LF. Honestly, all I heard was that people were leaving LF to go digital. I'd love to see ViewCamera target us more then you do now.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    But I have always loved B&W and digtal B&W just turns me off. The flat lifeless look (personal opinion).
    nearly any image can be made to be flat and lifeless ... film or digital

I was shocked at how many people were entering LF. Honestly, all I heard was that people were leaving LF to go digital. I'd love to see ViewCamera target us more then you do now.
    All VC does is largeformat???????
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I did sent Gevalia a PM asking for more specifics.

steve simmons

I think he's asking for more articles targeted at beginners who are moving from digital to LF film without having shot film in other formats before.