Thread: NeNewbie question about recording image information

NeNewbie question about recording image information

Hello everybody.I recently started shooting 4X5 color transparencies.So far I only used quickloads and than use lab for development.Can somebody share experience what is the best way to record information about each image I make .Do you ask the lab to keep information you recorded attached to the developed slide?
    Thanks,
    Vlad.

Peter

Re: NeNewbie question about recording image information

Some of my film holder have notches in the flap that the dark slide slides into when the holder is light tight. When I pull out the dark slide to make an exposure, the notches get recorded on the film. Then I know which shot came from which holder, and I can refer to my notes that I keep in a notebook. See attachment.
    Asking the lab to help you keep track of which note goes with which film, is asking for trouble, especially if the lab employs several people that your film get handed off to as your order progresses through the system.

Peter

The simplest approach is to take notes along the way, recording the information you think will be useful/important, and then archiving that information along with the negatives. How you do this is your choice - I use a small notebook that stays in my backpack, other options include PDA's, sound recorders, etc.

I number my holders and record the information against the holder number. One of the things that I note is a brief description of the subject, and its usually a simple matter to later identify the subject by examining the processed sheet. On rare occasions, I will make multiple exposures of the same subject with some variation between exposures (such as filtration or +/- processing). In those instances, noting the holder number makes it possible to separate holders in the darkroom.

Other people notch their holders. Some holders are designed to imprint a number on the sheet (and it's not hard to cobble together a DIY approach using small plastic tabs that are taped inside holders). These techniques are helpful if you routinely make multiple exposures of the same subject, or if you need to associate a particular sheet with its holder after the fact (perhaps to investigate a light leak), but in general I don't find these to be necessary.

Several years ago, I picked up a corner punch in a craft store that specialized in scrapbooking supplies. Using the corner punch, I can clip off the corner of a sheet of film in total darkness prior to processing. So, for example, if I make two exposures with the intention of doing both N and N-1 processing, I can punch one of the negatives prior to processing in order to make it positively identifiable later.

Preston Birdwell

I use QuickLoads. I record info in the white area at the topof the envelope. When I return home I transfer the info to a file on my computer and assign an ID number. When I get the trannies back from my lab, I match the trannie to my notes and then attach small lable showing the ID number to the sleeve.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Still Developing

I created a log book that I use on which I've got tick boxes for lens/film/filters and slots for bellows/centreflter/filterfactor etc.

http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2008/02/...checklist.html

This fits niceley into my Gnass Quickload holder

http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2007/10/...ad-holder.html

Tim

Peter,Louie ,thanks for sharing your technique,I may use it if I ever start using individual holders instead of quickholders.
    Preston thanks,I will probably have to work out the system similar to yours.
    Tim,your template is great,I am going to use your idea if you don't mind.
    Vlad.

Ok I have done this with my labs maybe you could give it a try. It may depend on how your lab develops the film however. What I did was to jot a number on the Quickload envelop where there is some white. I then wrote notes about each of these sheets in a notebook. When I go to the lab I tell them to keep each Quickload in a separate return envelope and to return to me the individual processed slide WITH all the Quickload packaging. You should get each individual slide back in your lab's envelope and the Fuji Quickload envelope with your number on it. It worked for me.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Steinberg View Post
    Peter,Louie ,thanks for sharing your technique,I may use it if I ever start using individual holders instead of quickholders.
    Preston thanks,I will probably have to work out the system similar to yours.
    Tim,your template is great,I am going to use your idea if you don't mind.
    Vlad.
    No problem Vlad.. If you want the original template in psd or fireworks png form, email me at firstName.lastName@gmaildotCom

Tim Parkin

Hopelessly Lost

or, if you are shooting a ton or have to wait awhile between processing trips (like on a multi-week backpacking trip) you can take digi-snaps of the scene and use those to help record what the frame/scene was. Also, they have identifiable file numbers that you can track.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.