Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd hand Yosemite report

2nd hand Yosemite report

My niece's husband was camping in Yosemite Valley over the Father's Day weekend and reports unusually light crowds, which I find odd considering that this is prime time for the waterfalls and school vacation.

Is the $20 entrance fee and $4+ / gallon gasoline keeping people away?

I don't know but if it is so then it isn't an entirely bad thing for photographers! Bus service is available from Fresno and Merced if you don't want to invest in gas. The free shuttles in the Valley and service to Tuolumne and Glacier Point is excellent for transporting LF camera gear.

During WW2 when gasoline was rationed my family would save ration coupons and car pool up every year. When I was a kid I remember them telling me that they have never seen the valley so pristine.

Motivation, anyone?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: 2nd hand Yosemite report

That's interesting. When I was there in late April, two years ago, it was a zoo, you could barely find a parking space in the valley. If it is that quiet in the valley, I wonder if there are also fewer people hiking up to the higher altitude campgrounds?

I was there for a few days last week. Stayed in Curry Village and parked in their lot. Gas was $4.70+, and the busses were packed. Gin and tonics were $7.50. That was mid-week.

Up-side: the water falls are spectacular right now. And still a touch of ice on the higher lakes near the highway.

-Pat

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I was in the valley for a long weeknd a month ago, and it was very packed. You couldn't even get on the shuttles, since the aisles were already packed with standing people. It more resembled a granite version of Disneyland than a national park. In addition, there were several single-lane construction zones going into the valley on 120 that you had to wait about half an hour to get through. That was before Memorial Day, but when gas was allready about $3.80 a gallon or so, so unless there's some kind of fluke going on, I would avoid that place until October.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by patfahey View Post
    I was there for a few days last week. Stayed in Curry Village and parked in their lot. Gas was $4.70+, and the busses were packed. Gin and tonics were $7.50. That was mid-week.

Up-side: the water falls are spectacular right now. And still a touch of ice on the higher lakes near the highway.

-Pat
    Wow, gas at $4.70 in Yosemite! It is already higher than that in Los Angeles!

The $4.70 ($4.69.9) was at Tioga Mobil. About the same at Furnace Creek, DV. I didn't check the in-park stations. It was the same or higher along 395. $4.99.9 in Susanville earlier last week.

When in Yosemite, I gas up at the Tioga station if I can, because the food there is so good.

It was about $4.50 in Fresno, Sunday, and moved down to about $4.30 as I got back into Washington.

Cheers.

I was there Sat and it seemed packed to me. The campgrounds were still full.

So just figure five dollars a gallon for the trips right now and you won't be diasppointed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Wow, gas at $4.70 in Yosemite! It is already higher than that in Los Angeles!
    Wish I had gotten that good a deal. Just got back today. $5.09 at Wawona and $5.39 in El Portal. To add insult, the smoke from fires filled the valley so you couln't even see much of El Cap from Tunnel View.

Those of you outside California should know we have been blanketed in smoke for about 5 days from the several hundred fires that are burning here, and it is getting worse in the Sierra. The famous Western States 100 mile running race has been cancelled due to the terrible air quality.

I think Yosemite must be in bad shape too?

it does make for some interesting photographic possibilities, however, because its like a filter has covered the sky, and the colors are really unusual.

-Brad