Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: partially fogged film ?

partially fogged film ?

i'm hopeing someone here can tell me what my problem is ...... SOME of my negs are coming out fogged a consistent 3 1/4 inches .... i.e. there is a 5 in by 3/4 strip of normally developed film while the rest is VERY noticably fogged. This has happened in tray processing and tube processing to some, but not all negs in a batch??

I am fairly new to LF but have developed 1000's of MF films in the past and believe that I'm consistent with all steps along the way.

Rather than me continueing to scatch my head over this issue , i'm wondering if i'm missing something obvious, such as bad holders or ????? I DON'T KNOW .... help !!

ken

Re: partially fogged film ?

it's possible you have bad light traps (aka a bad holder)
    --run a test with paper loaded and see if you can reproduce the fog without making any exposures... just put the holder into the camera, leave for a few seconds, remove and replace the dark slide, and process

Questions:
    Is the fog nearest to the top (where the slide enters the holder)?
    Are the holders easy to get into and out of the camera back?
    Are all holders the same type... wood, plastic, etc.?

the holders are all plastic ....fidelity and lisco.....and look to be in very good condition ... all load into the camera about the same ..... the fogging pattern is exactly the same on all bad negs .. looking at the emulsion side in a vertical postion the fog runs right to left...... meaning the fog is coming from the side of the holder not the top ..... which leads me to ask if it is possible that i'm not seating the holder into the back properly .......would that lead to this problem? ken

RE: "which leads me to ask if it is possible that i'm not seating the holder into the back properly .......would that lead to this problem?"

sure, but the variables of pressure and force used to manually load film in and out tends to make me think that you should at least also consider a bellows leak or a bellows/camera back that isn't fully sealed/connected... due the the consistency of the fog

1) watch how each holder enters the back and see if there is something possibly causing a slight rise to only one side
    2) look at the place where the bellows attaches to your back (btw, what camera?)
    3) look at the camera's back light traps... are they in good condition, the felt intact, all grooves/slots match up, etc.

the camera is a shen-ho in mint condition .... i re checked the bellows last nite and everything seems in order ....i cannot see any lite leaks with or without a holder in place ..... i developed 8 negs last nite .... 6 were fogged ...... the day before i developed four exposure test negs .... they were absoluty perfect ??? I normally can trouble shoot things like this myself ... but this one has got me confused to the max .... btw ... i apprieciate your input ... ken

Ken, sorry I have to ask......... are you Ken Currie of "New Glasgow Boys" fame?

kev

no .... far from it ...i'm in canada... altho i'm am a fairly well know musician on this side of the pond

Ruling out the camera & holders & that different film inicating the film wasn't fogged, I would ask are you (the camera) in direct light during these incidents? Are you leaving the dark cloth over the back when you have the slide out making the exposure then returning the slide? I have had problems like this when shooting in direct light (gets pretty warm down here so I generally try to set up in the shade)?
    PS As the fog seems to extend across the film plane (assuming horizontal or landscape format) indicates bad seating or light leak in back plate so you might try gluing some black felt to it. That being to the camera side of the frame, not the gg side. Thus you are changing the distance of the gg & the film plane but they remain constant (consistent distance as both are moved slightly)
    Last edited by Clay Turtle; 13-Jun-2008 at 14:17. Reason: PS

these have been shot in full sun ...and no i don't cover the back with a darkcloth when the slide is out ...... i didn't realize that would be and issue ??

Ah, yes I use a rather large loth I had made up, generally I cover the full length of the camera (from the front standard to the rear standard) as well as keeping it shut (closed) during exposures.