Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emulsion Magazine

Re: Emulsion Magazine

the whole utah bit was a bit much, even for me.

But minus that. This situation at emulsion is a bit ridiculous. The thing that really amazes me more than the magazine actions (or lack there of), is the astounding level of latitude given by the photographic community towards the lackluster actions of the emulsion staff/volunteers/owners/etc.
    I admire them for putting it out there and starting up a photo rag for the traditional photo world, but at some point they (emulsion) must have realized that they'd bit off more than they could reasonably chew.
    Tell the supporters/subscribers that. Admit it. I don't think anyone would fault them. Magazines are not easy to start, they aren't easy to continually put out, and they aren't easy to continually run. I know this from multiple personal and business experiences.

Don't know about anyone else, but photography eats up enough income, and I'd have prefered to donate my money to a local art program.
    Like clay said, I could have at least made that tax deductible.

I subscribed to _Photovision_ and had over a year's subscription left when it folded. The publisher tried to substitute _Outdoor Photographer_, which was totally inadequate. I did get a refund eventually, which may have come from Steve Anchell himself. I vaguely remember a handwritten check.

As for _Emulsion_--I subscribed to support the project, recognizing a certain risk involved. I didn't invest more in a two-year subscription than I was prepared to lose, if it didn't work out, which seemed like a distinct possibility from the beginning, since it's hard to run a magazine, the people involved weren't particularly experienced in magazine publishing, and I thought the idea that every issue should have a theme was trouble (much harder to stick to deadlines when you can't push a late article to a later issue). I got three issues for my $60 subscription. If Aggie recovers her health and puts out more, I'll be glad to receive them. If not, it's not the end of the world.

My subscription to Emulsion magazine, and subsequent experience, is most likely similar to other subscribers. My recollection is that I paid for four issues and received three.

However, having been down similar roads before, I did not expect to receive what I had paid for. Such magazine ventures are often driven by passion, not business acumen. For example, the afore mentioned Steve Anchell magazine, Photo Vision. It was another unfulfilled promise to deliver a magazine, and ended prematurely with a substitute magazine of inferior quality to satisfy remaining subscriptions.

But my greatest disappointment was a subscription to the British magazine Album, a gift from my wife who had saved enough on our meager means in the 1960's. It was a wonderful gift while it lasted, but the promise of a full subscription was never honored. Again, passion was the driving force, the inspiration of publisher Bill Jay. Some may be familiar with his contribution to Lenswork.

There is a sense of betrayal in not receiving promised goods. However, it might be well to look at the intentions of those who have failed to deliver. I have no doubt that the three mentioned here, Aggie, Steve, or Bill had anything but a strong passion for photography and good intentions to deliver a good product. For a short time, they all did.

Some take chances and fail, others take none and berate. I will side with the former.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Somehow, I didn't know Aggie was(is) seriously ill.

I like those two issues. Let's hope that sometimes in the future Emulsion magazine would recover and continue.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

I just heard from a friend of hers that she is still seriously ill. It would be great if, one day she got better and re-launched Emulsion. Until then, perhaps it's time to let this one go and focus on other fine photography magazines (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Ill is not an excuse. Not when the masthead shows a number of capable people involved. Not when we were told that up to 4 more issues were already laid out and ready to go to the printers. Not when many paid for one or two years, were promised magazines and nothing comes.
    The real problems?
    First... it comes out of Utah, the fraud capitol of the US. Currently there is one major swindler (23Million $$$) and it looks as if he will not even get jail time. The FBI calls Utah the Fraud Capitol. Jake Garn, co-author of the Garn-StGermain bill came up with it in Utah. (you remember this, S&L scandal and Billions in Federal bailout money... and they did not go after anyone who "only" too $5 million or less) Utah is the home of more multi-level marketing scams than you can count.

Looks as if this is another idea that might fall under the scam title as the money was paid but the product is not coming and no money seems to be coming back to those who paid.

Come on, all who were on the editorial team, get with it, raise the money and pay back every dollar of the subscription price collected. To do less is fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud and just plain greed on the part of all who received the money and did not deliver.

Missing a deadline or two is understandable but missing a year or so is not. Failing to answer for the money collected is not. Take the money and run.... Utah business as usual. Now all we need is to find that this bunch is using the money to support their extra seven Fundamentalist Mormon wives and 32 kids.
    Mercy! Such anger over $20!! The editorial team will pool all the money they were paid and you will be first in line for a refund. I was part of that team. Hold your breath my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    I just heard from a friend of hers that she is still seriously ill. It would be great if, one day she got better and re-launched Emulsion. Until then, perhaps it's time to let this one go and focus on other fine photography magazines (no pun intended).

The ethical thing would be to refund the money...since that has not happened it calls into question your characterization of her ethics. Actions are the only thing that count. All the wordy bullshit in the world counts for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post

But my greatest disappointment was a subscription to the British magazine Album, a gift from my wife who had saved enough on our meager means in the 1960's. It was a wonderful gift while it lasted, but the promise of a full subscription was never honored. Again, passion was the driving force, the inspiration of publisher Bill Jay. Some may be familiar with his contribution to Lenswork.
    Be disappointed no longer Merg. Album lives on. Bill Jay has pdf files of album magazine on his web site.

http://www.billjayonphotography.com/

The Album reprints are only part of his site. There is an amazing amount of great information on his web site. It's too bad this reply is hidden in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Mercy! Such anger over $20!! The editorial team will pool all the money they were paid and you will be first in line for a refund. I was part of that team. Hold your breath my friend.
    When you do send it Jim,
    please use inadequate postage
    so he will have to pay Postage Due to receive it

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    When you do send it Jim,
    please use inadequate postage
    so he will have to pay Postage Due to receive it

John
    My point was none of us ever got paid a dime. It was just a hopeful labor of love. In the end too much labor, not enough love perhaps. I think Aggie was out of pocket quite a lot to get the 2 finished that she did. All these vitriolic folk should give something similar and of positive benefit to the rest of us a try instead of bringing down the fire of God over $20. He'll be holding his breath quite a while waiting. A good silence.