Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Got Back From Foto 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Eric Biggerstaff

Just Got Back From Foto 3

Just got home from Foto 3 and what fun it was.

Saw many old friends and met many new ones. A shout out to the LF Forum community including Mark Sawyer, Hugo Zang,Wayne Lambert, Chauncey Walden, Al Olsen, Phil Augustin and many more whose names escape me at the moment.

Gordon Hutchings was great and I learned much about pyro developers (he has a new formula of PMK coming out that he announced and it sounds terrific) and John Sexton gave an outstanding presentation on "Inspiration" that everyone should hear. Later, Sexton and Hutchings held a workshop together that was terrific as well. I think John may of been the highlight of the weekend, he just gave an outstanding speech.

Got to see a lot of work from well and not so well known photographers. Karen Kuhen gave a great presentation on her portrait work, she is amazing. David Stocklien was fun and terrific for three hours of cowboy photography and adverstising. I was introduced to some interesting urban landscape work by Jennifer Little, Wayne Lambert displayed his very lovely platinum prints from Mexico and Mark Sawyer showed off the quiet beauty of his still life work.

Also, was able to attend workshops on digital workflow and the new Canon cameras which are areas I do not usually pay much attention too but I am glad I did, I learned a lot!

I also met many vendors and came away with LOTS of free LF film from both Kodak and Fuji! Sweet! The vendors were great, Bostick&Sullivan were there everyday letting anyone who wanted make some platinum prints, Kodak was represented by Scott DiSabato who is a gentleman, Jim Andrecki and the crew from Midwest was there and they were terrific (only wish I had some cash!), Hugo was there with his lovely Chamonix cameras, Curt Palm had is new CompnTemp timer software up and running, HP with some printers, and hell, many many more. It was fun to say the least!

Ran up to have my portfolio reviewed by Gordon Hutchings and then John Sexton. A bigh "THANK YOU" to both of them, that was fun and I learned a lot (now back to the darkroom for some work).

I think there were about 200 - 250 folks in attendance during the conference. Lots of different styles, formats and experience from all across the country. The facilities were first rate and a big thank you to Steve and his assistant Andrea who did a terrific job.

All in all not a bad way to spend a weekend. For those of you who were there, I really enjoyed meeting as many of you as I did and I only wish I could of met more!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Re: Just Got Back From Foto 3

Make sure you post this on APUG and let them know what they missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Indeed, Apug is the biggest looser here. Thanks a lot for you post, Eric. Hopefully more will come from other attendants.

Question Re: Just Got Back From Foto 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I don't understand what you're referring to. Could you explain it, please?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't understand what you're referring to. Could you explain it, please?
    I meant what I typed. I think there are a lot of people at APUG that would have enjoyed a show like Foto3, and it would be good to post a review like this one there as well.

Reposting comments from one forum to another generally isn't a good idea, unless done by the OP, assuming he/she is a member of both groups. Considering the back-story, doing so in this case is probably even less desirable.

Please please please don't let this turn in to a I told you so.... It would just be great to hear what people got up to for all those people who didn't go for whatever reason.

So GPS did you go? What did you get from the event?

Eric Biggerstaff

Kirk,

I don't belong to APUG but if someone else wants to post it for me that would be great. I agree with Keeds, I didn't post this to be an "I told you so" thread or to open up the bashing doors, just wanted to post my experience and say thanks to the many new friends that I made this past weekend.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Clay

I also attended Foto 3. And I must say I was underwhelmed. For the price that was charged for this conference, the number of really relevant talks was minimal. I agree with you that Sexton, Hutchings and Kuehn are excellent and motivating speakers, and I liked their presentations. I did informal head counts in the presentations, and the best attended talks had around 60-75 people in attendance. And of course, the conference guide easily reached the required number of misspellings.

My overall impression was that it was like a small APIS conference sans the presentation quality.

The presentation quality was quite uneven, with a few of the presentations being excellent resources of information, while others were disorganized and messy. I suppose this would be expected in any conference of this sort.

The trade show really was disheartening to me. The vendors showed up, but I never saw more than a dozen or two people in the area at any one time. I hope that Kodak et al don't take this as any barometer about the health of film based photography. It was great to see Hugo (chamonix) and Bruce(photobackpacker, RPT) there with their new products. Bruce, in particular has a real winner with his new backpack system. I encourage anybody needing a comfortable LF-carrying backpack to check out his system.

Was it worth it? Not in my opinion. At the pre-registration price level, I could buy a lot of film and gas. I am glad some liked it. But for me, is no way I will waste my money on another one.

Just my two cents.