Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help the Architect

Re: Help the Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Someone should find the plans for Edward Weston's "palatial shack" in Carmel. I beleive his grandson Kim lives there now. By all accounts it's small and simple, and they tell me that many good photographs were made there.
    Mark, I've been in Edwards old darkroom and from memory it's about 6 ft wide by 10 feet long. The door is near the end but located in the side. Along the side where the door is is the counter with his paper cutter, dry mount press and a small light bulb above where the contact frame would be. On the other side is the sink. Small but effective and about all that's needed for small prints. Remember he never printed larger than 8x10 and only contact printed.

The entire house was originally a single room plus the darkroom at the end. I think the second room which was a bedroom was added in the late 30's or early 40's by Neal when Edward became ill.

Don, thanks for the info. I was joking about the elaborate concepts seen in this thread, and by extension the many fancy studios I've seen and worked in, (but never owned). It's just that the original requirement sounded like something a modern-day Weston would want. Certainly no one has ever done more with less than he did!

Jim Ewins

Perhaps the Architect should take a course in photography first. Too many designs incorporate the ignorance of the architect for the user. I recall the results of the UW Arch students designing a McDonalds. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Jim

Does the square footage include a garage? Does the house include a garage?

I would think that, in a house this size, some rooms need to double up. As a practical matter, must one be able to sell this house later?

A guest bedroom could double as a matt room. If it had one of those fold-into-the-wall beds on one wall, perhaps it could have a fold-into-the-wall working table and recessed shelves or cabinets on each side on the adjoining wall? You could have photographs on the underside of the working table, so that they became visible when the table was folded into the wall.

I suppose the bathroom could double as a darkroom. At least, the bathroom could be back to back with a darkroom, so that the same plumbing was available to both. If doubled up, the sink doesn't have to be that large. Developing can be handled with two trays: one for the developer and a second for stop, fix, and rinse. Final wash could be in the kitchen. Perhaps one could have a pull down counter for bathroom use that could cover half the sink. The underside of this counter could have darkroom equipment, like timers, electronic thermometer, etc. Cupboards under the sink for tray storage, etc. Put the enlarger in a shower stall with a curtain that can be removed for enlarger use. That keeps "wet" separate from "dry", as long as the shower doesn't come on accidentally.

Living area could double as a studio. Perhaps it could be on one end of the house, with a wall of light (floor to ceiling) on the north end that could be completely curtained when using flash. Having nice landscaping outside this window would be a real plus. If for portrait use, one could have places to photograph outside. Benches for sitting, etc. An adjoining wall that curves to the floor is always nice. Maybe this could have decorative advantages when the room is being used for living, versus as a studio. Backdrops could be be drawn up into a module that hangs from the ceiling?

Include good lighting for illuminating photographs hung on the wall, like in a hallway.

Just some thoughts. Sounds like a fun project.

Downstairs

Sal,
    In reply to your ceiling height question: an ideal studio would have a 6m (20ft) ceiling. That would put the window light source at a nice height. Mine is 5m (without a window) and the background only just makes it without revealing the top edge in a w/a vertical shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    ...an ideal studio would have a 6m (20ft) ceiling. That would put the window light source at a nice height...
    Does this refer to the 3.5m tall window in your sketch being placed at the top of that 6m wall? That would put the bottom of the window 2.5m above the floor.

Downstairs

Forget 3.5m - just floor to ceiling within reason. In a skyscraper? Block off the The bottom 2m. Forget measurements anyway: all you are trying to do is to get the light across to the far side of the background, hitting the subject on it's way. Like it was coming from a big umbrella.

Old thread but interesting!

First read today.

I have had 3 studios.

1st, a one room storefront 12 X 24' sink, toilet only. In ghetto $300 monthly 1984. I worked next door in unheated 1910 horse buggy shed fixing cars. I made my odd sculpture, on the sidewalk.

2nd, 650 sq ft, one room with kitchen, full bath. Converted 1902 factory. Another ghetto. South glass block, I blacked out and made into studio/darkroom. I slept on bed inside a pallet rack. Started doing studio photography 2003. By 2016 I was done with urban renewal and big money taking over. Sold it 2016 way too quickly, should have asked 10% more...

Moved rural to start over, converted old cheap house to studio in living room, all windows blacked out, darkroom in biggest bedroom.

I am still getting over having any yard, driveway is gravel, turning to grass.

My point, a dedicated studio is worth it, any size, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NateArchitect View Post
    Alright guys, whats up. My name is Nate (as you can see) and im a 2nd year Architect in college.

My assignment has been to develop a 1000 sq. ft house that would suit a photographer. I understand there is a dark room and a matt room (not sure what this is) but i do not know the required equipment needed. Are there any other rooms you guys would like to have? Maybe a room for shooting film out of? This only has to be for basic photography. We are just now learning how to design houses. Any input of required equipment or examples of your layouts would be GREATLY appericiated.
    Tin Can

Hopefully Nate got paid by now... ;-(

Steve K

Wo, I can see you're getting lots of ideas. Here are some more.

My darkroom is a good example (I dare say) of a compact space. (See 1st photo.) The dimensions are close to 6'x8'. On the left is a cabinet, the sink, and beyond the sink, an 11x14 print washer. My enlarger to the right of the shelves in the center is capable of printing up to 8x10 negatives. (4x5 enlargers are kind of the standard.) I built my own stand.

All the plumbing and electronics have been mounted on a 4ft sheet of plywood that can be detached from the wall.

I also built a stand for the darkroom sink. The sink is a Delta "The Sink" which is suitable for prints up to 16x20. (https://www.freestylephoto.biz/62470...33-in.-x-13-in.) There's space under the sink for shelving, and the all important print drying racks. Somewhat larger than 16"x20", the racks can accommodate prints up to that size. (See second photo.) On the right of the sink and stand is a Versa Lab 11x14 archival print washer.

To the right of the door (out of sight), is a 8"x18"x48" custom built print drying cabinet that can dry sheet film and lengths of 120 roll film.

A living room with black-out windows can double as a studio. Portable kits are made to hang a background cloth for portraiture.

A dining room w/table can be used as a matt room. A Logan 40" matt cutter and a 20" Roto Trim paper cutter could be concealed in a small cabinet, along with vertically stored 32"x40" matte boards.

A small desk and chair with a Mac Pro tower computer (to save desk space), along with a I(not huge) graphics quality monitor will work as a digital darkroom station. Space should be reserved for fine-art quality printer. This area can also work as a family computing center, though some sort of toner cartridge printer will also be needed.

The third photo shows a compact, under-stair closet that can store lots of gear on the walls, and on a cart that fits right in the center. The closet has shelves on one side and peg-board on the other. The cart has peg-board on both sides.

If the house has grounds (and a patio?), garden areas or scenes could be designed and incorporated for portrait photography.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Darkroom.jpg   UnderSink.jpg   ClosetIn.jpg