Page 228 of 427 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 4262

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    Indeed I do. Compressed there's enough room for a lens to stay on. I almost always have a 180mm on it.

I hand made a case for the camera for transport and protection as well. Canvas and ripstop nylon. Top flips off, camera pulls out to go on tripod. Setup is very quick.
    Great looking case! Would you please share how you constructed it? It looks like there must be something rigid or semi-rigid under the canvas and nylon.....

Your box cam looks lovely, Ramiro. Thanks for sharing it with us!

My Master Tech arrived 2 days ago after a CLA. Yeah, you've all seen these before but here it is anyway. Yes, that's string in the wire-frame (for 6x7). I'm shooting Fuji FP3000B and driving everyone nuts presently.

umop episdn

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Great looking case! Would you please share how you constructed it? It looks like there must be something rigid or semi-rigid under the canvas and nylon.....
    Thanks Michael! Sure. Don't have any photos when I was building the 5x7, so I'm posting a few from my 4x5 monorail case. They're very similar.

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. The bottom of the bag has two layers of corrugated plastic for extra strength. Side walls are a single layer of sheeting. Canvas and ripstop is sewn around the foam and plastic sandwich and then each finished panel is sewn together end to end. For further support there's a set of straps and webbing completely wrapping around and underneath on the case like a harness. The webbing has metal D-rings for a hand or shoulder strap. Last is a removable dirt and dust cover made of canvas (and waterproofed) on the outside of the case. I stitched everything with a needle and thread. No sewing machine. Took about a week for the 5x7, two weeks for the monorail. Both cases are featherweight, yet strong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Case-1.jpg   Case-2.jpg   Case-3.jpg   Case-4.jpg  

Thanks Michael! Sure. Don't have any photos when I was building the 5x7, so I'm posting a few from my 4x5 monorail case. They're very similar.

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. The bottom of the bag has two layers of corrugated plastic for extra strength. Side walls are a single layer of sheeting. Canvas and ripstop is sewn around the foam and plastic sandwich and then each finished panel is sewn together end to end. For further support there's a set of straps and webbing completely wrapping around and underneath on the case like a harness. The webbing has metal D-rings for a hand or shoulder strap. Last is a removable dirt and dust cover made of canvas (and waterproofed) on the outside of the case. I stitched everything with a needle and thread. No sewing machine. Took about a week for the 5x7, two weeks for the monorail. Both cases are featherweight, yet strong.
    That's a great looking case - thanks for sharing your design "secrets"...

Agree completely. Your DIY cases are simple and elegant. It's hard finding cases/bags that are just the right size. Your solution is an inspiration. Very practical; materials readily available.
    Thanks for sharing.

That DIY case is very nice!

I used to have some the corrugated plastic as it came free wrapped around a spool for shipping protection. Is it normally available at big box stores? (I used mine all up for flooring and insulation covering in my chicken pen. )

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. . . . .
    That is SOOOOO cool.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

umop episdn

Thank you Dan, Michael R, JP and Michael D. You all flatter me.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    That DIY case is very nice!

I used to have some the corrugated plastic as it came free wrapped around a spool for shipping protection. Is it normally available at big box stores? (I used mine all up for flooring and insulation covering in my chicken pen. )
    The corrugated sheet I used is sold in art stores for signs and posters. Lightweight and rigid. I've seen similar and heavier see-through corrugated plastic sheet in hardware stores as well. Used in greenhouse panels I believe.

Just got this half plate Toyo delivered from Japan today. I already had two 4x5 monorails, one that I built myself and a Toyo 45. Most of my photos are taken outdoors and to me a monorail is too cumbersome for that. So sometime ago I decided to get a field camera. Went through the options and I was already set buying a Toyo 45A when I saw this model. Upon realising how light weight it was and how easy it would be to adapt different backs to it I was sold. So I got it and I'm now building a adapter to fit a 4x5 graflok back to it. I also got three half plate holders with the camera so next time I'm ordering film I'll get some of that size too. I bought some unbored lens boards from ebay and waiting for them to be delivered.

Here's my DIY lens cap, 2 points if you know what I made it from. It fit well with a tiny bit of adjustment, a bit of felt and a matt board center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5802.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	125054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5803.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	125055
    Tin Can