Page 394 of 424 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 4233

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Customized Bender 8x10 Camera

Bender Photographic Inc. made these kit 8x10 and 4x5 cameras back in the 90's. I recently purchased and customized an 8x10.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Maximum Extension: 30".
    Front Rise/Fall: 3"/0".
    Tilt: Unlimited front and rear.
    Swing: Unlimited on front; +/- 30 deg. on rear.
    Front Shift: 1.5" left; 1.5" right.
    Weight: 7.27 lbs.

This camera has coarse focus in the front standard and fine focus on the rear. (No geared focus.) It was customized to have maximum extension, so it has no fall. For the latter, it's easy enough to use front and back tilt to effect fall. I have three rails, a 12" rail, a 20" rail (shown) for lenses up to 450mm, and a 30" rail for a 24" lens.

I like this camera. It's is the most solid wood camera that I've seen. What little vibration occurs, even at 30 inches of extension, quickly dampens out. The following link gives details on how it was customized.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Project-Camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Customized8x10.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 19-Feb-2021 at 19:07.

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Greetings fellow photophiles! I have spent the past year transitioning from an all-digital workflow into a hybrid set-up that has allowed me to ditch my mirrorless Fuji in favor of utilizing my live-in mentor's vast array of classic analog gear (M3, Rollei 3.5, Mamiya RZ67, + more!) that I doubt I would have ever gotten my hands on otherwise. (Not to mention his stockpile of film + paper!) It has been a deeply enriching, educational, and exciting change of pace for me. Recently, I took the liberty of unearthing and dusting (and in the case of the 8x10, I mean dusting) off the large format gear that had been buried for at least several years. Attached are images of the Canham 5x7 (w/ Fuji C 450mm f/12.5 attached) and 8x10 (w/ 14 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar) wooden field cameras after I followed Keith's simple cleaning instructions.

I've only exposed a few 8x10 sheets thus far but am very excited to spend a lot more time with these beauts this year and I'm sure the knowledge on these forums will continue to prove an invaluable resource.

I'm not sure I've experienced a more electric feeling from photography than holding a well-developed 8x10 neg. Whew!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210222_232452967.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	213045

Name:	PXL_20210131_013218298.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	213046

(Those are aluminum weights for vinyl records propping the bellows up; whoever last put the 8x10 away for my mentor years ago neglected to fold it, and I believe gravity has had some effect here.)

Welcome, D. Mesa. This is the right place to be. Great to find another convert, even if hybrid. Many of us can appreciate your sentiment in holding a good 8x10 negative. A fine silver print is no less rewarding.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Here is my 4X5 field camera, a 4 3/4 X 6 1/2 Toyo Field fitted with a 4X5 back. When I purchased the camera in excellent condition a few years ago it came with an original 4X5 revolving back. All my lenses, except two of the largest are in Graphic lens boards and I use them on Toyo views with Toyo flat and recessed adapter boards. I liked the camera but not the back. The pre G Series Toyos used a bail system to lift the ground glass back to assist in loading a film holder, a feature almost mandatory on such a light weight camera. The bail however will not open over a folding focusing hood, or my favorite viewer the Toyo monocular. Neither could the camera focus to infinity with my 47mm Super Angulon XL. After some consideration, I was able to fit the top half of a Toyo revolving back in place of the original. I could not make it revolve, a feature I can do without in any case. Now I can use all my G Series accessories and because of the much closer fit to the back plate, I can focus the 47 to infinity with room to spare.

Last year I was able to obtain a late production back plate for this field camera which will accept G film backs. However the extension with a revolving Toyo G back is 5/8" more than my reworked version, and even with a non-revolving Toyo back it is 1/2" more. Again it won't work with the 47 so I have never used it on the camera. I have replaced many pin-holed Toyo bellows on G Series cameras, but the silk-lined leather original on this much older camera is still supple and light tight. I did replace the questionable original leather handle with nylon strapping.

Photos show the camera with 270mm 5.6 Tele-Arton focused at tight headshot distance and the 47mm Super Angulon XL focused at infinity. This is a versatile little camera I'll be keeping.

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	213056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	213057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	213058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0015.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	213059

Nice. I don't think I've seen a half-plate camera in use before, albeit with a 5x4 back in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post
    Nice. I don't think I've seen a half-plate camera in use before, albeit with a 5x4 back in this case.
    There are many on the large auction site coming out of Japan now, where they were very popular with professionals. Search "Toyo Field" 4 3/4 X 6 1/2. Some have one or the other or both the 4X5 and 4 3/4 X 6 1/2 backs.

Aspiring LF photographer

I also have this camera, with the older 4x5 back you describe. I just bought a couple of slider backs for this camera that take 120 roll film holders. Someone has a blogpost describing how they modified this camera for 5x7. It’s just a bit larger than the native half-plate. I would like to do the same. https://5x7blog.wordpress.com/2017/1...-standard-5x7/

It is a nice, portable metal field camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good documentation at link!
    Tin Can

You could make an adapter plate up to Toyo 57G back. Out of wood, plastic or metal.

Hi!

This is my Chamonix F1 + Symmar 210/5.6 ... a happy couple, well, trio ;-)

chamonix f1 by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Cheers
    Antonio