Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.B Tele Graflex 4x5

R.B Tele Graflex 4x5

I've been looking for a 4x5 camera for portraiture (natural light and strobes alike) and found this on craigslist. The pawn shop doesn't know much about it and is tough to get in contact with. I'd love to know a little more about it before I drive a decent distance to look at it. Below is a picture and description.

They're asking $295, but in an email they told me they bought it to be used as decoration, so I might be able to get it for cheaper than asking price.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLx0VOb.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	113210

For Sale R.B Tele Graflex 4x5 Film Camera Bausch & Lomb 5.6 f/4.5

Camera Is In Good Physical Condition For Its Age, There Are A Couple Of Nicks Around The Unit But Nothing Major. Camera Is Fully Functional And Works Great.

Thank You For Looking At The Listing Below.

Film Size 4x5.

Serial #: 12782

NIC

Re: R.B Tele Graflex 4x5

There is no strobe sync on these.

Also, Graflexes are complicated contraptions. If the seller doesn't know much about it, you need to take "Fully Functional And Works Great" with a boulder of salt. By the same token, if you don't know anything about Graflexes, you won't be equipped to judge for yourself whether it is working properly or otherwise has any issues.

Have you used a large format camera before?

No, but I'm well aware of the challenges. I've taught myself most everything else related to photography including processing 120 C-41.

If it looks mostly structurally sound, I'll offer them $100 and take it somewhere to have someone look at it. If they sign off on it, I'll buy some film and test it out.

You won't need just film--you'll need film holders. And the ones it uses are different from normal 4x5 cameras', haven't been made in decades and can be hard to find, so you'd better hope it comes with some.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

LF isn't difficult, it's just a bunch of new details you'll need to pay attention to. If you've been comfortable picking up tools and methods on your own up until now, you'll be fine.

Re testing it with film, remember that you'll need some of the special Graflex slotted film holders - regular 4x5 holders won't fit unless the camera has been converted, which is often the case with Super D's, not so much with RB Tele's.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    You won't need just film--you'll need film holders. And the ones it uses are different from normal 4x5 cameras', haven't been made in decades and can be hard to find, so you'd better hope it comes with some.

I'm not doubting that 4X5 is more of a financial commitment and has a steeper learning curve than medium format. I'm also not trying to brush off your valued advice, but I just wanted to know if any of you could tell me based on the provided serial number and picture what kind of Graflex RB this is.

Quote Originally Posted by jures View Post
    ...I just wanted to know if any of you could tell me based on the provided serial number and picture what kind of Graflex RB this is.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, it's most likely an RB Tele Graflex, as stated clearly in the ad. The camera normally has a little metal plate with the curtain settings and the model name on it. Unless that plate has fallen off, the seller can read the model name right off the camera without knowing anything more about it.

Google tells us that it is a little over 100 years old.

Also, make sure this is really a 4x5 and not a 3.25 x 4.25"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Google tells us that it is a little over 100 years old.

Also, make sure this is really a 4x5 and not a 3.25 x 4.25"
    Oh wow. I guess I'll keep looking then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious, it's most likely an RB Tele Graflex, as stated clearly in the ad. The camera normally has a little metal plate with the curtain settings and the model name on it. Unless that plate has fallen off, the seller can read the model name right off the camera without knowing anything more about it.
    Yeah, I asked the pawn shop owner to grab a picture of it as well as the lens, but he never got back to me.

I guess I'll keep looking. A Graflex Super D would be ideal based on what I've seen.