Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 vs 5x7

4x5 vs 5x7

I probably won't do either one for some time...but I'm thinking of going large format and I'm curious about the difference in logistical challenges and general convenience between 4x5 and 5x7.

I'm currently shooting 35mm and medium format. I don't generally enlarge enoug to justify going to large format, but I came across some contact prints in 5x7 not long ago that have me suddenly thinking there really is a reason for me to go large.
    I haven't seen 4x5 contact prints, so I can't be certain...but even the 5x7s seemed on the edge of small to be effective as contact prints. So I'm assuming 4x5 may be too small.

Of course I know that the gear is proportionaly larger and more expensive...I'm just wondering how much more inconvenient it all is.

Thanks

Re: 4x5 vs 5x7

To me, 5x7 has always seemed like a format that is neither here nor there... If you're going to carry a 5x7 camera, you may as well add another pound or two and shoot 8x10.

But that's just me...

Many 4x5" cameras are really 5x7" cameras with 4x5" backs, so they're not necessarily larger. 4x5" equipment, though, is much more widely available, and you have more film choices. 5x7" makes a nicer sized contact print, and would be a better choice if you want to scan with a flatbed scanner. If you're going to enlarge conventionally, 4x5" enlargers are much more ubiquitous and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    I probably won't do either one for some time...but I'm thinking of going large format and I'm curious about the difference in logistical challenges and general convenience between 4x5 and 5x7.

I'm currently shooting 35mm and medium format. I don't generally enlarge enoug to justify going to large format, but I came across some contact prints in 5x7 not long ago that have me suddenly thinking there really is a reason for me to go large.
    I haven't seen 4x5 contact prints, so I can't be certain...but even the 5x7s seemed on the edge of small to be effective as contact prints. So I'm assuming 4x5 may be too small.

Of course I know that the gear is proportionaly larger and more expensive...I'm just wondering how much more inconvenient it all is.

Thanks
    IMO, 5x7 is a great format and I find the aspect ratio very pleasing. It's not that much more difficult than 4x5 but is more bulky but nearly as much as hauling and feeding 8x10 gear. The image quality is noticebly better than 4x5, though 4x5 can produce great results too.

The Chamonix 5x8 is an interesting format as well.

Don Bryant

It just doesn't matter.

Use what matches your photographic vision.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

dazed, I recently began shooting 5x7 having already been down the 45 and 810 route.

IMO, 57 is soooooooo much more appealing to the eye and mind after being conditioned from a lifetime of the 35mm aspect ratio

i totally disagree with the size/weight comparison with 810 - but that is my opinion

As has been pointed out in this thread, choose a format that has an aspect ratio that appeals to you. I recently got a Chamonix 5x8 for just that reason. The weight and bulk can be considerations, but the first step is establishing which aspect ratio best fits your vision and making other decisions (weight, bulk, cost...) according to your circumstances. You may well find that the inconvenience of a larger format is offset by the satisfaction of your experience.

5x7 contact prints are delicious. 4x5 contact prints are jewels. If you have only one format to do, however, I'd go 5x7.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

dazed, holders (lack of) have been a magor issue until recently - Calumet is now selling brand new ones - 57 holders are dramatically smaller than 810

I like the more rectangular format for landscapes and portraits---IMHO 5x7 has the same feeling as 11x14 but is far more affordable to shoot. Many of the old 4x5 woodies like the Agfa Ansco, and B&J are actually dual format 4x5/5x7 so all you might need is a 5x7 back and holders!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White