Page 385 of 426 FirstFirst ... 285335375383384385386387395 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,850 of 4258

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Ries.....now there's a tripod (& head) we can agree on !

I did not catch on to the American hardwood reference too at first. These are great suggestions, I have been checking out Reis and Feisol tripods. I had just ordered a longer Benro quick release plate, but that's probably a band aid.

This was a first foray beyond 4X5 land. The Bellatrix was a bit of a change from the Linhof Technika and Wista 45s I have been using the last couple years. Definitely less user-friendly. Well the Linhof engineering in particular does spoil you. There is a screw in the back that drives the front standard back and forth, but there's a limit (if I am using this correctly). I had to undo the screws holding down the rear standard to move it further up, for getting infinity focus on the 240mm and 300mm lenses I have. The ground glass frame is a little tight to pull back for inserting or removing the holder. As to stability on the Gitzo, I was worried the 1/15s speed was too slow and firing the shutter may cause vibrations. The Tri-X negative looked okay though. Otherwise it works well.

The first try with film did not need any movements, will look to do more this weekend. One learning curve was loading 8X10 film into the film holder. I don't have a darkroom. Used an extra large changing bag but it's still quite cumbersome. The ground glass is plenty bright, which worked well in the sun (may not work if the sun is pointing at it though). The camera does have what seems like a well designed base. I think with better support it would be quite stable.

Not sure about the sturdiness of the material or the camera. I have dropped (yes, don't ask) a Linhof Technika, and the only thing damaged was the ground glass frame, which I eventually found a replacement for. I have a feeling the Bellatrix is not going to be that robust.

I have wood tripod for my 4x5 camera crown graphic maybe make last one ever made.
    It looks great on wood tripod
    Look at your camera I think it would great on wood. It does not made in America but would nice.

Dave
    PS: I purchased new the day they closed down for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by md-photo View Post
    I did not catch on to the American hardwood reference too at first. These are great suggestions, I have been checking out Reis and Feisol tripods. I had just ordered a longer Benro quick release plate, but that's probably a band aid.

This was a first foray beyond 4X5 land. The Bellatrix was a bit of a change from the Linhof Technika and Wista 45s I have been using the last couple years. Definitely less user-friendly. Well the Linhof engineering in particular does spoil you. There is a screw in the back that drives the front standard back and forth, but there's a limit (if I am using this correctly). I had to undo the screws holding down the rear standard to move it further up, for getting infinity focus on the 240mm and 300mm lenses I have. The ground glass frame is a little tight to pull back for inserting or removing the holder. As to stability on the Gitzo, I was worried the 1/15s speed was too slow and firing the shutter may cause vibrations. The Tri-X negative looked okay though. Otherwise it works well.

The first try with film did not need any movements, will look to do more this weekend. One learning curve was loading 8X10 film into the film holder. I don't have a darkroom. Used an extra large changing bag but it's still quite cumbersome. The ground glass is plenty bright, which worked well in the sun (may not work if the sun is pointing at it though). The camera does have what seems like a well designed base. I think with better support it would be quite stable.

Not sure about the sturdiness of the material or the camera. I have dropped (yes, don't ask) a Linhof Technika, and the only thing damaged was the ground glass frame, which I eventually found a replacement for. I have a feeling the Bellatrix is not going to be that robust.

You’re already using a Leofoto head, so you must know they also have very reasonably priced and solid CF tripods for your Gibellini. Would be a non costly way to upgrade your tripod for it if you feel the current gitzo is not sufficiently stable (other gitzo models, and rrs, definitely have good options too, but at 3x the price of an equivalent Leofoto).

I do not know of any 8x10s that would land well.

I make a bathroom light-tight (at night) for loading film holders. I found the jump from 4x5 to 5x7 easy...the jump to 8x10 takes time and practice (as does my jump to 11x14!) ave fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by rrunnertexas View Post
    20200929_182408 by rrunnertexas, on Flickr

Rochester Universal in full plate, with a Brass Volute shutter and B&L Universal lens.
    Great 'find', and for sure a vintage beauty! (alas not much seen in this thread, i.e the vintage ones....). And I love whole plate....
    hows the shutter running...still going strong?

My Flickr

The new-to-me Sinar P 5x7".
    After some research, the "P" was the only reasonably portable camera I found that supports the Heliar's 5,51 pounds. At least in controlled home conditions. Let's see in the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heliar2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	208418

Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10

8x10 at Pocahontas Park
    by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Ron, please define vintage

Your Flickr which is archived on wayback machine does show a modern TLR
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Ron, please define vintage

Your Flickr which is archived on wayback machine does show a modern TLR
    I suppose it depends on what year the grapes were picked.

If I said my EOS 90D is of a recent vintage, that would be a perfectly valid statement.

And the only "modern" TLR I'm aware of is the Seagull CM9-- most of the other TLR's are based on decades old designs, if they're still in production (which they aren't aside from the Seagull 4D, I think).