Thread: Learning inkjet printing- your advice!!

Learning inkjet printing- your advice!!

Hi folks,

I wanted to ask people's opinions about the best resources in the US for learning to do your own inkjet printing, especially in a workshop context. Do you have recommendations for particular teachers and workshops, as well as publications that you feel are especially helpful?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Claudio

Re: Learning inkjet printing- your advice!!

The best book I have found on Photoshop and inkjet printing, is Photoshop Artistry for Photographers using Photoshop CS2 and Beyond by Barry Haynes et al.

The author also conducts PS and printing workshops.

Workshops: check out Charles Cramer for color and Tyler Boley for black and white.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Alain Briot, Uwe Steinmueller and Tony Sweet will be putting on a photographic and printing workshop....see link below. Alain's workshops have always proven informative and entertaining.

http://www.beautiful-landscape.com/W...Summit-08.html

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Hi folks,

I wanted to ask people's opinions about the best resources in the US for learning to do your own inkjet printing, especially in a workshop context. Do you have recommendations for particular teachers and workshops, as well as publications that you feel are especially helpful?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Claudio
    For workshops, look for one taught by Tyler Boley, George DeWolfe, or Amadou Diallo. All these guys are superior print makers. There are others out there too, but I know that these guys have taught workshops before.

Books include Mastering Digital Black and White by Diallo and Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop by DeWolfe.

The best online sources for answers to problems include the yahoo groups DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint, and EpsonWideFormat. These groups have been around a while and have a lot of accumulated experience.

Bruce Watson

I've taken George deWolfe's one week b&w workshop and it was excellent. I don't know if he still teaches it or not, I took it at the Palm Beach Photographic Workshops. I haven't read his book but if it's as good as the workshop then it's very good. But to get something out of the workshop you should have at least a basic working knowledge of Photoshop, you wouldn't want to spend that kind of time and money learning how to use the Lasso tool.

The best book in my opinion for a beginner to learn Photoshop is The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book For Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. Don't worry about the reference to digital photographers in the title, 99% of the book is just Photoshop with almost nothing that's peculiar to digital photography. I've read many Photoshop books including Barry Haynes' book. The reason I think Kelby's is the best for beginners is that everything is done step by step, he doesn't say things like "create an adjustment layer," he tells you exactly what buttons to click to do that and then gives screen shots of most of the steps so you can see exactly what he's doing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A second for George DeWolf. I never took a workshop with him, but as he was a friend, he tutored me through much of the beginning levels. His book has allot of useful info. I think George is mainly doing online tutoring and classes through Cone.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    A second for George DeWolf. I never took a workshop with him, but as he was a friend, he tutored me through much of the beginning levels. His book has allot of useful info. I think George is mainly doing online tutoring and classes through Cone.
    I totally forgot about George. I'd agree. I've only heard great things about his knowledge of the digital printing workflow.