Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Movements

Re: Camera Movements

In my suggestion to the OP the common line for the meeting of the film plane, the lens board, and the subject plane would be above the camera position. This is unusual.

steve simmons

To add to what Steve said, bringing the lens and film planes parallel to the subject will also correct the plane of focus. The look (i.e. perspective "distortion" or lack of it) will be different in each case. The position of the back plane relative to the subject controls this aspect, moving the lens only affects the position of the plane of focus.

Try the three alternatives discussed and note the differences of perspective on the ground glass.

1. Camera pointing down, lens tilted back slightly to correct the plane of focus.

2. Camera pointing down, then using forward tilt of the back standard to correct focus. (This will be very little different than case #1, since the back will probably only need to be moved very slightly. For practical purposes, cases #1 and #2 are the same or very, very close.)

3. Camera pointing down as before, but then bringing both back and lens standard parallel with the subject plane. This may require some reframing with rise or fall (depending on which standard you use). This variant will show a marked difference in perspective when compared to the two above, yet the subject plane will be in focus on all three. Aren't view cameras wonderful?

And, you can "mix and match" to get just the look you want as well.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

The look (i.e. perspective "distortion" or lack of it) will be different in each case. The position of the back plane relative to the subject controls this aspect, moving the lens only affects the position of the plane of focus.

My point, but you said it better.

Thanks

steve

I have been following this discussion with some interest, since I have read about and seen much of what Avedon did in his career. It sounds like with the camera pointed slightly down, then bringing the standards parallel to his subject, all he really did was simulate fall (of rise/fall movements) with his camera. So with the lens shifted, the subject should appear undistorted on the ground glass. I understand the other methods discussed, but I don't think Avedon was using tilt on most of his shots.

Avedon used fairly old cameras that may not have enjoyed the range of movements on cameras we might buy today. One thing I do when photographing people is to place the camera at a comfortable (for me) working height, then use rise or fall to frame in the shot. When I shoot closer to f8.0 or more open, and I want the talent to move along an angle, then sometimes I will use swing on the front standard. I rarely ever use movements that might distort the scene, unless I specifically want such an effect.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography