Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon Death Valley shoot

Full Moon Death Valley shoot

Hi, all.
    I will be traveling to DV next week and my shooting buddy had to cancel. I'm looking for a photographer interested in shooting the dunes at night and/or hiring a "guide" to come along for a 4-5 hour shoot. I've contacted the Chamber of Commerce in Lone Pine and Death Valley with no hits. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Denise

Re: Full Moon Death Valley shoot

Watch out for snakes with big sharp teeth

You could try contacting the rangers at the info desk at DV as they could likely help.

Did I mention snakes with big sharp teeth?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Fuson View Post
    Hi, all.
    I will be traveling to DV next week and my shooting buddy had to cancel. I'm looking for a photographer interested in shooting the dunes at night and/or hiring a "guide" to come along for a 4-5 hour shoot. I've contacted the Chamber of Commerce in Lone Pine and Death Valley with no hits. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Denise
    contact Galen Rowell's

http://www.mountainlight.com/

surely someone there will know someone in the area, the gallery is awesome too.

Eric Woodbury

There may be a NPS photographer in residence in DV. There was many years ago. Call the park and ask.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Glenn Mellen

In March we spent 1-1/2 weeks shooting Death Valley and the surrounding areas... an awe-inspiring place. We had scheduled only 4-days in DV with the balance of the trip in Zion, but we fell so in love with DV the entire trip was devoted to it (had previously been to Zion anyways, and this was the 1st time in DV).

You shouldn't need a guide to shoot the Dunes... the higher and most impressive peaks are easily seen from driving around and pre-scouting, and the dunes do not cover all that large an area. However, if help or information is wanted, do talk to the park rangers (an office located right near the Dunes). The rangers there were among the most helpful of any NP I've ever visited.

One word of advice about shooting the Dunes... you really need to shoot them right after a rain or windy day. The sand-boarders and kids tramping up and down the area tracks up the area really bad... and at times there's loads of people there tracking up the place... everywhere! The Dunes attracts some of the largest of crowds at the park (especially with lodging right across the street from them)... and most of them seem to enjoy walking up and sliding down the sides of the large sand dunes.

Pristine sand can only be found after rain or wind erases tracks left by others on all but the most minimally sized dunes. We found that sand conditions were perhaps as important as sky and light conditions when shooting there... sand dune pics with hundreds of footprints and tracks left from those sliding down the tallest dunes are less than impressive.

Didn't see a single snake... although some the lizards and beetles and rabbits did look rather intimidating.....

You don't need a guide for the dunes, they are in plain sight from the road and marked on the map you get at the Ranger station. Perhaps a 1/2 mile hike to them. The Eureka dunes are different, a long gravel road. If you break down in the wilderness this time of year, it might be serious trouble. Temperature is expected to be up to 113 in the next few days, so carry LOTS of water. The Rangers can give good advice. I haven't tried the dunes at night, I think they are best at sunrise and sunset. I also haven't seen any dangerous animals in 10 years of vacations there, although rattlesnakes are said to exist.

On foot tracks in the dunes, park a little bit further east on the road from where everybody else parks. The sight seeing crowds park just opposite the biggest dune and walk straight in. If you go a big further east and walk in, the only tracks will be yours. The small and medium sized dunes in my opinion are more interesting subjects that the biggest dunes anyway, and when isolated on the ground glass you can't tell if it was a big one or a small one anyway with no footprints.

In terms of needing a guide, this is about 1/2 mile to 1 mile of hiking each way not counting walking around to compose your shots. It would be really hard to get lost out there since you can see the road from the dunes and every now and then (even at night) somebody drives by. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Fuson View Post
    Hi, all.
    Thanks!
    Denise
    I'll be there in November or December....can't help out now. Please do let us know how it goes with a few sample pics as well.

Good luck.

Make sure you have some sort of electrolyte replenishing fluid, such as Gatorade, as well as water. If you are drinking only water you run the risk of sweating out all the good stuff your body needs to help regulate itself. Heat exhaustion or even heat stroke is a real danger in DV this time of year. Read up on the warning signs before you go.

Don't put your hands or feet under anything. That's where the snakies are during the daytime. At night, they come out to hunt. They're not hunting you, though, and unless they feel like they're in danger, they don't pose a threat to those who keep their eyes and ears open. I've had to catch and move many assorted snakes. They would rather escape and run away if they could. Unless they're mad.
    If you break down or have an accident in the desert, stay with your car. This is very important. There are lots of people and someone will pass by fairly soon. Enjoy your trip. I wish I could be there.