Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article on view camera maathematics

Re: Article on view camera mathematics, xfig, LaTeX and free software !!

Great article, Leonard, although you should admit that it is written for your students in order to attract them to doing LF photography, and not for photographers in order to attract them to mathematics

Regarding the question of the limits of depth of field with slanted planes I recommend to use an approximation, the "venitian blind approch". Instead of finding the real ellipse of confusion, imagine that you check for the circle of confusion on a small venitian blind located at a given point of the slanted image plane but lifted up in order to stay parallel with the exit pupil.
    Look at my article (the English version is still not up to date!! shame on me ! )
    see figures 5, 6, 7
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/profond...heimpflug.html

There, you have the advantage that the circle of confusion is invariant in the image and I'm sure that you can apply the elegant formalism of projections to demonstrate in one or two powerful projective formulae that the limits of acceptable sharpness are slanted planes according to the usual rules explained in other articles.

Another issue is that at a first mathematical glance, depth of field and depth of focus issues are different since depth of field ussues use the harmonic mean to place the planes of best focus in the middle of limit planes of acceptable sharpness ; whereas depth of focus uses the regular mid-plane.
    We discussed this issue with Jeff Conrad by mail, but my conclusion is that in practice with reasonable view camera settings and a reasonable choice of the circle of confusion both means are very close to each other, hence you get another simplification that allows you to demonstrate the wedge shaped depth of field in a snap.

After that, if you wish, you could go through the general shape of elliptical projection of the exit pupil on film, but I think most of future readers would be delighted to see the proof for the "DOF slanted planes" in the elegant way you demonstrate the basic Scheimpflug rule (as explained in Tuan's hand-drawn diagram on his web site)

Right now I' trying to use xfig and inkscape.

What follows is for aficionados of free software using Linux.
    I've been using xfig for 8 years under unix and linux and I have no reason to switch to any other software for vectorized graphics.
    The only thing painful and limited in xfig comes when you want to insert mathematics inside the diagram. Even simple subscripts are a pain.
    So as soon as I have some formulae to insert into a figure, I create them with LaTeX. Then I export the formula from LaTeX into a tiny .eps file using the command dvips with the -E option.
    For example assume that my LateX formula is in the file sinomega.tex

% this file is sinomega.tex
    \documentclass[12pt]{article}
    \usepackage{amsmath} %% of course, Leonard !!
    \begin{document}%
    \pagestyle{empty}
    \begin{Huge}
    $\sin(\omega \, t+\phi)$
    \end{Huge}
    \end{document}%
    % end fo file

Then I create a small eps file with a tight bounding box around the formula:
    latex sinomega.tex ; dvips -E sinomega.divi -o sinomega.eps
    Then, I can incorporate the .eps formula inside xfig easily like I can incorporate any picture.
    In the final ps or pdf output the typesetting will be perfect since xfig is clever enough to keep the .eps file as is.
    You can even re-incoporate this figure inside another LaTeX document.
    I use the graphicx package and from xfig I export in .eps.

See the attached pdf page where figure 2 created with xfig incorporates good-solid LaTeX mathematics and where figure 3 has (almost) no latex mathematics.

For plotting curves I've bee using gnuplot and nothing else for 15 years.
    In gnuplot you can either export as .eps or export as xfig code to be re-incorporated
    into another xfig figure, eventually incorporated in the final latex document.

From this latex document with minimum changes in the latex code, I convert them into html with the French & Free software HeVeA developed by Luc Maranget at INRIA.
    http://pauillac.inria.fr/hevea
    This is how I create both a pdf and a html for my articles on galerie-photo.
    Last edited by Emmanuel BIGLER; 15-May-2008 at 03:03. Reason: added an attached page in pdf

Re: Article on view camera maathematics

Jay Wolfe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve simmons
    In the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site is an article on camera movements and the landscape

www.viewcamera.com

Also, in the March issue there is an article on Scheimpflug with a lot of math, and in May the same article w/o the math.

steve simmons

Since this is the real hub of large format photography, I think you should post all of those articles here.

View Camera has been in publication since 1988 and has published dozens and dozens of articles on view camera technique. We have made a practice of putting user friendly articles on this topic on our web site for years.

steve simmons
    publisher, view camera
    www.viewcamera.com
    www.foto3-2008.com

Re: Article on view camera maathematics

Many thanks Emanuel!

I have to study your comments in greater detail, but let me say a couple of things.

Your suggestions about putting mathematics in an xfig (or other) document will be very helpful. I haven't done LaTeX diagrams for a while, and I've forgotten a lot of what I once knew. I do remember that it was always a pain to put mathematics in the diagram.

About the venetian blind approach, I did try that, and an earlier version of the article used it. But in the end I decided it avoided the primary issue which, I think, is the relation between the aperture circle and the projected ellipse in what I call the reference plane, i.e., the plane parallel to the image plane through the lens. The trouble is that that this ellipse depends on everything in sight, and in order to make approximations, you have to study it in some detail. That took me considerably longer than I thought it would, mainly because I kept making mistakes, but I think I have it right now. I still have to work out the approximations in detail, but I think I understand the relevant parameters.

I haven't figured out yet just how to do things for a real lens with separate principle planes, etc., in the tilted case. I think things will work pretty well as long as the exit/entrance pupils are in the
    principal planes. I will look at your articles again for enlightenment. I wish my German were up to par. I once was able to read German articles pretty easily, but I've lost the knack.

I agree with you that depth of field and depth of focus are different issues. I haven't thought about how depth of focus works in the tilted case.