Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you photograph in black and white?

Re: Why do you photograph in black and white?

It just so happens that the world looks perfectly nice in black and white. Nature uses colors for the purpose of survival in some way like for attracting mates or for propagation in the case of flora. Certain colors are better for photosynthesis or for attracting the bugs that carry along the stuff that the plants need to make new plants etc.

With photography on the other hand, the Photographer's own mating rituals seem to be satisfied just as well with shades of gray meaning that if you're in art school and you want to get some action, chicks seem to go for the brooding artiste type and that usually means black and white. Well that pretty much explains that. Is there anything else that anyone wants to know?

Brian Ellis says it very well and sparingly. I think A. Adams used the phrase "departures from reality" and those spare words work for me.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Richard M. Coda

Yes, Brian hit the nail on the head.

Me?

It just looks cool.
    I'm colorblind (I'm red-green... always hated those stupid tests with the numbers in the circles) but do see colors
    Total control.
    I really do "see" in black & white.

When, on the rare occasions I do shoot color (I am still learning) the SUBJECT is color, no matter what I am actually photographing.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

For me, it’s a chance to capture an image that is completely different to what I see. I can create dark, moody images in B&W that to my eyes, work better than in color.

I preferred this image in B&W than the color version. It’s not that the original shot on Fuji NPS was bad….it’s just that it could not represent my mood and what I envisioned there.

Because is what I do better? I admire those who can do great color work like Masiel or Tenneson. For me doing good color work is far harder than doing good B&W.

I to, like Richard, am color blind. I see colors but they are not the same as what noncolor blind people see. That is frustrating. I can see and relate better with the tonalities in black & white photography.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    For me, it’s a chance to capture an image that is completely different to what I see. I can create dark, moody images in B&W that to my eyes, work better than in color.

I preferred this image in B&W than the color version. It’s not that the original shot on Fuji NPS was bad….it’s just that it could not represent my mood and what I envisioned there.
    I'm not sure why you posted that image if it's not shot in B&W. From one who is continually accusing others of poor comprehension and a lack of reading skills clearly it needs to be pointed out that the OP was asking why people shoot in B&W - your example is shot in color, later converted...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I'm not sure why you posted that image if it's not shot in B&W. From one who is continually accusing others of poor comprehension and a lack of reading skills clearly it needs to be pointed out that the OP was asking why people shoot in B&W - your example is shot in color, later converted...
    Because I saw the image in my mind as B&W

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Because I saw the image in my mind as B&W
    I am confused.

Your original answer to the question was, "For me, it’s a chance to capture an image that is completely different to what I see."

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I am confused.

Your original answer to the question was, "For me, it’s a chance to capture an image that is completely different to what I see."

Sandy King
    What I see, and what I envision in my mind are two different things.....at least according to the voices....

4x5 NPS is just what I happened to have in the camera.