Thread: film from US to UK, xray damage?

film from US to UK, xray damage?

Hi all,

I want to buy some film from the US and have it posted to me in the UK, just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and if there's ever been a problem with x-ray scanning damaging the film?

thanks
    Dav

Re: film from US to UK, xray damage?

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    Hi all,

I want to buy some film from the US and have it posted to me in the UK, just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and if there's ever been a problem with x-ray scanning damaging the film?

thanks
    Dav
    I have to import all my film to Mexico. Here is what I have learned. If you are planning to have the film delivered to you by courier, like Fedex, UPS, do not use Fedex. The will open the box before shipment regardless of any warning. Use UPS and have the shipper place a warning on each film box with the legend "Caution, photographic film, do not open box or x ray". If you do this they will let it go through without any problem and will also pass customs without any problem as well.

I have never tried to use the regular mail, but Sal sent to me a box of Tmy that was fine, apparently the regular mail does not x ray or open the box is you put a warning legend as well. The reason I use a courier is because I want the insurance in case they mess it up.

Good luck.

Earlier this year I bought HP5 from a US seller with no problem with normal US post to the UK. I have to import most of my film to Turkey but post sometimes never arrives or they have long holidays so is late, so I bring in hand luggage.

Ian

Thanks for the advice, I'll maybe give it a go by regular post and make sure it's thoroughly marked as film

Hi, I've bought a fair bit of film internationally through ebay. It's usually come through the normal post to me in the UK and I've never had a problem.