Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Negs with Pyrocat MC

Eric Biggerstaff

Strange Negs with Pyrocat MC

So, I just finished a batch of negs from my recent trip to Yosemite which were developed in Pyrocat MC.

When I pulled the negs from the Jobo, the image looked like a positive as opposed to a negative! That is strange.

I am pretty new to this developer and mixed it according to the directions at 1+1+100. I used distilled water.

I will probably not develop the remaining negatives in this developer as I am pretty nervous at this point, don't want to lose anymore.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Re: Strange Negs with Pyrocat MC

try proofing them and see what you get before making any decisions or processing any more.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    So, I just finished a batch of negs from my recent trip to Yosemite which were developed in Pyrocat MC.

When I pulled the negs from the Jobo, the image looked like a positive as opposed to a negative! That is strange.

I am pretty new to this developer and mixed it according to the directions at 1+1+100. I used distilled water.

I will probably not develop the remaining negatives in this developer as I am pretty nervous at this point, don't want to lose anymore.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?
    At the risk of asking the obvious, are you sure that you are processing negatives and not transparencies? Is the film notch correct?

I have seen thin and dense and mottled and banded and many strange things between these ends but never a positive image from negative materials. Maybe Sandy can chime in.

I would go back to D76 or Xtol (or your regular developer) with these negatives.

I have always had good luck with Pyrocat. Did you mix this from scratch or from a kit?

Cheers!

Eric,

You may have under-exposed the negatives . If so, they might look like positives if viewed under certain light.

There is always a chance that something is wrong with the developer, but in my experience underexposure is the most common reason that a negative will look like a positive.

Sandy King

I was thinking along the lines of Sandy, but noticed the effect when looking at the neg and a dark background.

Eric Biggerstaff

Well, thanks.

The film is FP4, should of said that. It may be underexposure - geeeeeze! Very strange indeed. These were all 5X7, I had developed a few runs of 4X5 and all seemed just fine - so perhaps I messed up the exposure as Sandy indicates. Oh, the developer is the pre-mixed version in glycol that is sold via Photographers Formulary.

As Steve noted, I will proof these tomorrow and see what they look like.

Thanks all.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Hi Eric,

As Sandy suggested, you may be looking at a "thin" negative (underexposed). They seem to reverse against a dark background. There is, however, a good chance that you will be able to get an acceptable print. I hope that will be the case, let us know.

Good to hear that you are out with the camera. I did, by the way, enjoy your recent article in View Camera.

All best,
    Merg

I'm inclined to agree that this is a case of the reversal being the result of viewing the neg under a certain light at a certain angle. Specifically, if you place the neg on a dark surface and shine a light at an oblique angle on it, you can see a reversed image (i.e., a positive). This results from the fact that silver actually reflects light and the more heavy the deposit of silver, the greater the reflectance. The dark background helps by making underexposed areas look dark (by letting the light pass through to the dark background). Thus, it is easier to see this with underexposed negs. I would proof the negs first before deciding anything else. Cheers, DJ

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks everyone.

Well, as luck would have it I always make a second negative of each scene when I am out. So, today I developed the second set of negs using Rodinal diluted 1+50. Guessing that I under exposed the negs, I added a little time to my standard time for Normal development.

So, when I removed the negs from the Jobo drum, guess what - I had nice, fully exposed and developed images on the film. In fact, they were a little over developed!

I have another batch of negs running right now and I am using the Pyrocat MC on these, if they are also see through then I will guess it is the developer (which I hope it is not as I really like the Pyrocat MC). If these come out fine, then I will still develope the second set on the Rodinal just to see what the difference is when I print them.

Thanks again everyone.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Well, as luck would have it I always make a second negative of each scene when I am out. So, today I developed the second set of negs using Rodinal diluted 1+50. Guessing that I under exposed the negs, I added a little time to my standard time for Normal development.

So, when I removed the negs from the Jobo drum, guess what - I had nice, fully exposed and developed images on the film. In fact, they were a little over developed!

I have another batch of negs running right now and I am using the Pyrocat MC on these, if they are also see through then I will guess it is the developer (which I hope it is not as I really like the Pyrocat MC). If these come out fine, then I will still develope the second set on the Rodinal just to see what the difference is when I print them.

Thanks again everyone.
    That is great Eric.

I have a load of pyrocat bulk chemicals so if you want to mix up a batch come on over and we can knock it out in short order. I am close to Parker Road and Arapahoe. Great stuff.

Cheers!