Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glazer's Camera & ULF Tmax 400

Re: Glazer's Camera & ULF Tmax 400

Quote Originally Posted by htswv View Post
    And more 5x7 here...I thought 5x7 was going to be one of the standard available sizes? Now we have to meet minimum order requirements for each size?
    I believe that 5x7 is one of those sizes that hold considerable interest and will be cut so continue to pass the word and have everyone send their individual interest to William. Please respect the fact that Glazers has made a commitment to Kodak for a certain quantity of TMY(2) that they have agreed to purchase. If it were your money on the line you would have a vested interest in insuring that you generate a reasonable return on your investment/commitment so naturally ALL possible formats are being considered for interest. That way nobody feels that they are left out of the process. No big deal.

I even saw that some 5x7 Fidelity holders are hitting the market. Don't know if this is a long or short term fix but I will take it for what it is - a positive thing.

Remember, Glazers/Kodak are making the commitment to bringing TMY(2) in various sizes over the next 12 months+ to allow Kodak production to fit this into their schedule for efficiency reasons and for everyone to have the time to put their financial resources together. It will be a good year to make photographs.....

I am in contact with Kodak about this and other matters. They will be at foto3 to talk about this order and the sequence of sizes and when they will be made available. I will get a schedule as soon as possible.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    I am in contact with Kodak about this and other matters. They will be at foto3 to talk about this order and the sequence of sizes and when they will be made available. I will get a schedule as soon as possible.

steve simmons
    Kodak's involvement with this project has been satisfactory completed in the negotiations that we just finished. As a result they are not in a decision making position on any of the variables relative to this sheet film deal from this point forward. And that is a very good thing. Everything has been successfully transitioned (as it should be) to Glazers as they are the corporate sponsor.

If anyone has questions, comments or concerns on any matter related to this arrangement, contact William at Glazers.

Cheers!

Go Glazer's....

View Camera has helped establish a market for this with our annual conferences. Kodak's particiaption in these conferences helped them understand better the film and specificially the sheet film market. I have been told that the View Camera conference is one of the two best places to meet and talk to people interested in traditional photography. (The other is the Society for Photographic Education) I am pleased and proud that View Camera was able to help with this process.

Our conferences, and the Kodak survey a year and a half ago that solidified the interest in film by many photographers, not just sheet film users, has helped show Kodak of the overall interest in film.

I am pleased that a reputable dealer with a long standing and excellent history has become involved. Glaziers will do an excellent job.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    View Camera has helped establish a market for this with our annual conferences. Kodak's particiaption in these conferences helped them understand better the film and specificially the sheet film market. I have been told that the View Camera conference is one of the two best places to meet and talk to people interested in traditional photography. (The other is the Society for Photographic Education) I am pleased and proud that View Camera was able to help with this process.

Our conferences, and the Kodak survey a year and a half ago that solidified the interest in film by many photographers, not just sheet film users, has helped show Kodak of the overall interest in film.

I am pleased that a reputable dealer with a long standing and excellent history has become involved. Glaziers will do an excellent job.

steve simmons
    To be honest, 99.9% of the selling of this concept with T Max ULF #1 was my tenacious bullheadedness to get to the top of the mountain at all costs combined with my marketing and business experience. I am not embarassed nor do I feel the need to apologize to anyone for what was accomplished. I developed and sold the concept all by myself, found the initial sponsor, negotiated the deal, engaged the consuming public AND sold it without any external support of any kind from anyone including View Camera. Kodak had no clue as to the market for ULF sheet film at the time we did this deal. We overshelmed Kodak with dollar signs and they signed off on the deal as they had no financial downside. And that is the truth. After the fact I had an exchange with the Mr. Perez himself that finally convinced me that they were cognizant of the reality that this was a market that was not eroding as quickly as they had forecast - actually it was starting to show growth which blew their mind. Making general assumptions on things you had no part of is not a good practice personally or professionally.

The second offering of TMY ULF(2) is vastly improved overcoming new challenges (correct packaging and 25 sheets per box) and securing a new sponsor which Kodak overwhelmingly supported. Once again, with considerable time and effort this was accomplished without any mention or assistance from anyone at View Camera. I sold Scott Disabato the need to leave the UV coating out of sheet film for the alternative process photographers face to face over breakfast in Victor, New York where Scott lives a long time ago. It was Scott that sold it internally and for that we are all thankful. You are correct in the ascertion that general discussions about sheet film were conducted at a recent View Camera conference. That and $4 will get you a Starbucks mocha with whip.

I personally attended the Society of Photographic Educators Conference in Denver recently and spoke to many photographers about T Max 400 film improvements at the Kodak booth and agree that it was a very successful event. I saw many familiar large format people there. These sheet film deals are completed and are happening as we speak. I am working on a host of other "succession planning" venues to insure that we continue to stay on the road to prosperity irrespective of a few unnecessary distractions along the way. I am hoping that others will join in the effort.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 28-Apr-2008 at 19:58. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Glazer's Camera View Post
    .....We will stock 14x17 film, and will take pre-orders for 11x14 and 12x20 film.....
    Back to this new offering for a minute.... I am very surprised not to see 7x17 mentioned, given its relative "commonness" or was that simply an unintentional oversight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    Back to this new offering for a minute.... I am very surprised not to see 7x17 mentioned, given its relative "commonness" or was that simply an unintentional oversight ?
    Thanks for the interest Daniel.

The deal was purposefully structured very differently from the initial offering. Kodak asked that we spread out the individual cutting of specific formats over the entire year of the sales period. So every two months another two formats will be offered for sale based upon interest received. Communicate your interests with William at Glazers.

This serves several strategic purposes. Initially it allows Kodak to schedule a format or two into their production schedule. Remember, because Kodak is accomodating us with a non-UV emulsion and they are simultaneously coating this same product WITH the UV coating for small and medium formats, the logistical issues need to be accomodated. After manufacturing the film, it needs to season a period of time. Secondly, Kodak has agreed to provide us with proper sized packaging and they need lead time to get these produced. I told Kodak that plain brown sheet film packaging was acceptable to lower costs as long as it was triple boxed and had the manufacturing label.

The last reason we spread out the purchases over the entire year is to allow the consuming sector the time to put their financial resources together. We all recognize that ULF and custom cut modern sheet film is not an inexpensive proposition and we all want to be very sensitive to this issue. The fact that Kodak agreed to put 25 sheets per box when their 8x10 is being sold in 10 sheet packaging was a HUGE accomplishment. This allows shipping costs to be the best rate possible as opposed to the last deal where Kodak used over sized packaging and 10 sheets per box.

All of the sizes listed in the Glazers formal announcement are being considered.

We ask for a little patience in the interim so for now light up Williams phone with your requests.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 29-Apr-2008 at 07:14. Reason: typo

It's not as if special orders for ULF films from Kodak or Ilford or Fuji are a new thing really. They've all been doing this for some years for anyone who could make the minimum order, before people started organizing group purchases through the internet. I've known people who have ordered 11x14" Tri-X and 20x24" Portra 400 and 20x24" HP5+ on their own. The internet organized group purchase is a new thing, and organizers like Michael are much to be commended for facilitating this process.

Re: Glazer's Camera & ULF Tmax 400 11x14 format

Greetings,

Attention those who shoot 11x14 format:

Earlier today, I spoke with William at Glazer's and he informs me that thus far, there has been little or no interest in the new TMAX 400 in 11x14 format. Granted, it's only been a few days since the formal announcement about the availability of this film through Glazer's.

Still, the minimum total order to Kodak for 11x14 film must be 50 boxes, so any 11x14 photographers interested in this film need to place their orders over the next 3+ weeks for this size to be cut in this cycle; otherwise, we'll have to wait until the next ordering period, probably later in the year.

Regards,

BILL
    wm mitchell