Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use ULF?

Why do you use ULF?

So can I ask why? Large silver contacts? Alt?

David Vickery

Re: Why do you use ULF?

Just because its wonderful. Why do you ask?
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

I'm making a list -)

Really I'm trying to decide between a larger enlarger and an ULF camera. Right now the list of pros/cons is pushing me towards the enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I'm making a list -)

Really I'm trying to decide between a larger enlarger and an ULF camera. Right now the list of pros/cons is pushing me towards the enlarger.
    Nick. Don't you shoot 8X10 or is it 5X7?

David Vickery

Well, the first question is, what size prints do you want most of all?? If you can buy or build a camera system to meet that size requirement, then you should go for the ULF camera --- Just my highly biased opinion.
    I will always remember the first time that I saw a contact print by Edward Weston. It was in a room with about a hundred other prints from all of the photographers that you and I have ever heard of plus a bunch that I never had, and the Weston print was the standout print by far. Beautiful Luminosity. I will always love the contact print.

You have to decide what is relevant to you, because the bottom line is what you want to produce and how much effort you are willing to put into it. If you haven't already then go and spend some time looking at a variety of prints-enlargements and contacts-as much as you can.

I'd guess that one of the great pros of going with the larger enlarger is that you can probably find someone who is willing to give away an 8x10 enlarger. Heck, if I had the room, I'd have one by now too.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Smile Re: Why do you use ULF?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    So can I ask why? Large silver contacts? Alt?
    Because I shoot 70% of the time in-camera color (and soon B&W) and 30% of the time standard B&W negs and then contact print.

Finally, although it is certainly nowhere near the top in my list of reasons to go ULF, the idea of having a complete workflow that does not require any electricity at all is kind of soothing.

Cheers!

Because I can't stand enlarged pictures.

David Vickery

More to the point of your question, I like the simplicity of it. I also like the prints that I can make better than the prints that I used to make with enlarging.
    David Vickery

Scott Davis

You want to do big wet-plate images? use a big camera. There's an old Detroit axiom originally applied to car engines, which I'll paraphrase for this context- there's no substitute for square inches. And the glass that's available for those ULF sizes doesn't exist in smaller sizes, so all things being equal, you can't get the same look on the same film in a smaller size.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    Because I shoot 70% of the time in-camera color (and soon B&W) and 30% of the time standard B&W negs and then contact print.

Finally, although it is certainly nowhere near the top in my list of reasons to go ULF, the idea of having a complete workflow that does not require any electricity at all is kind of soothing.

Cheers!
    Hi Marco,

Does your first line mean you expose color paper in camera? I've never considered that before. I can relate to being off the grid and think you picked two of the most beautiful cities in the world to call home. Maybe they picked you.

I live just North of S.F. and would enjoy viewing your work in person if that was ever possible.

Joe