Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips Explorer models

Phillips Explorer models

Hello all,

Who could tell me the differences between the older Phillips Explorer models (like the one Michael Mutmansky reviewed on the Camera reviews section on Tuan's site) and the last version made before Dick Phillips retirement ? I've seen one of the last models and I can only remember cosmetic differences : T-levers, square base, slightly different focus knob, optional levels and bail on the older model. Are there real significant differences or improvements ?

Thank you.

Jimmy

Re: Phillips Explorer models

The 8x10 Explorers that Dick has made recently take Technika boards rather than Sinar boards.

The recent camera I was talking about had a Sinar board. I read about Explorers with Technika boards, I thought they were special orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Peguet View Post
    The recent camera I was talking about had a Sinar board. I read about Explorers with Technika boards, I thought they were special orders.
    Dick decided to do an entire year's build of 8x10 Explorers to accept Technika boards - actually, it may have been the last two batches, I'm not sure.

At any rate, apart from the lensboard, the differences from batch to batch are pretty much as you've described. I'm not aware of any fundamental design changes in the camera across the various production runs.

Is there some specific feature you're looking for, or are concerned about?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, Oren, thank you. I've just found a nice Explorer (the same Michael described, unfortunately without levels and bail, but nothing really important here) and was curious about improvements from a batch to another. Should be exactly what I was looking for.

Most of the changes are small and incremental and mainly cosmetic.

He did change the way the adjustment knob on the centre focus know thingy worked, from the flop down jointed type to a more rigid straight one at some point.

The one major change from Sinar boards to technika was one of the few mistakes Dick made in the design of the 8x10's imo... - okay as an option but not as standard.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Most of the changes are small and incremental and mainly cosmetic.

He did change the way the adjustment knob on the centre focus know thingy worked, from the flop down jointed type to a more rigid straight one at some point.

The one major change from Sinar boards to technika was one of the few mistakes Dick made in the design of the 8x10's imo... - okay as an option but not as standard.
    The focus lock is, as Tim mentions, a functional change - basically the old style focus locked by pushing the articulated focusing drive column into a clip - later models he uses a fixed drive and there is a lock with locking lever instead. IMO (and I've owned his cameras with both) the most recent (i.e. locking lever) is more convenient.

This camera is a pleasure to use. This must be a silly question, I can't figure what are these two metallic parts at the bottom of the back used for ? Neckstrap ?

I think it's just for an elasticated darkcloth hood to hook onto (the explorer back is thinner/sleeker than the Compact II as it's non rotating).

I can't remember if it might protect something as well - perhaps when closed up?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Yes Tim, must be something like that.