Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focusing Problem?

jetcode

Re: Focusing Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    To bruce and Jetcode, it may be down to some error on my part and I will take some more photos soon, although I am interested in the problem of using the Toyo loupe, is there a fault with that product, or maybe Jetcode has a bad one?
    it's not a Toyo loupe, it's a Toyo focusing aid. It's not a high quality optic and I am glad to get it out of my kit. That slight extra sharpness you are looking I found by putting a better optic between my eye and the ground glass. Seriously as much as film costs I can't imagine using anything less.

Preferences in loupes vary. I've been using a Toyo 3.6x loupe for years, and have generally been happy with it - except when trying to examine the corners of the GG. Is it as good as my Schneider 6x6? No, but the Schneider was an order of magnitude more expensive, in addition to being larger and heavier.

A photographer who lives locally kindly measured the GG of my MPP for me which was 4.90mm. The Toyo DDS was 4.67, the Fidelity Elite was 4.80 and each of the DDS`s had a sheet of film in the holder. The Kodak Readyload holder with a sheet of film was 4.87 and the closest to the GG.

Error on my part when focusing might have been the problem as I couldn`t remember if I refocused after applying a bit of forward lens tilt or not, so I will have to take some more photographs soon when I have a bit of time to spare.
    From left to right, the screen ran from 4.92 to 4.87, so a little bit of discrepancy there, although I`m not sure if it`s enough to make a major difference.
    I must confess that the mention of the Toyo X3.6 has got me a bit flustered though.

Thanks everyone.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Preferences in loupes vary. I've been using a Toyo 3.6x loupe for years, and have generally been happy with it - except when trying to examine the corners of the GG. Is it as good as my Schneider 6x6? No, but the Schneider was an order of magnitude more expensive, in addition to being larger and heavier.
    A big factor is my ever failing eyesight and resolving detail which is why I chose to stick to Copal 3 glass rather than the Fuji lenses. I originally bought the Schneider to replace a loupe I lost for my light table. Then I found the rest of my loupes and gave them a side by side and the Schneider had the edge. The Schneider I have is larger in circumference but isn't all that different in weight IMO, in fact I think it is lighter. For me the expense is justified by the subtle increase in sharpness. It made a difference in my work.