Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x9 film roll back for Wista DX 4x5.

6x9 film roll back for Wista DX 4x5.

Hey guys and gals...
    I'm having a little trouble trying to wrap my head around how to get a 6x9 roll filmback for my Wista DX 4x5 field camera. I'm looking at all the different brands available and there is obviously ones that require a certain kind of adapter. But then there's ones like the Horseman, Graflex and Wista (type N) that appear as though they would fit if I just take off my ground glass back completely. However, I can't be entirely sure because some require the Graflock (international) back. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about this so that I don't spend a lot of money on something that doesn't work.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't take pictures of my camera, but I think most of you know the physics of this camera if you're reading this. When I rotate the back of the camera there's 2 corner clips and 2 corner slots. To remove the back you simply unlatch the clips and slide it out of the slots. Many of the 6x9 holders I see out there look like they can just slide in once I've done all my focusing, etc. on the 4x5 ground glass back. Does this make sense? I have a gut feeling I'm missing some important information -it can't be that easy, can it?

Thanks in advance...
    Jordan.

Re: 6x9 film roll back for Wista DX 4x5.

We are the Wista distributor. If you would like us to explain the options to you just call us at 800 735-4373.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=wista+6x9

I had a Wista 6x9 back that slid under the ground glass. It worked beautifully that way. I have some photos on my old FS ad on this site.

Matt...

I can't view that link. Could you please email me the photos or text of what you're sending? j_r_starr@hotmail.com.

Also, won't the back wreak my ground glass or destroy my springs?

Thanks..Jordan.

...like this? a Tachihara with a Horseman 6x12 back inserted (carefully) under the ground glass.

Why bother, you're using a 4x5 camera. Why not use 4x5 film. Cropping is not a sin.

...haha , true, but it is a waste of film

Quote Originally Posted by LFstudent View Post
    Why bother, you're using a 4x5 camera. Why not use 4x5 film. Cropping is not a sin.

Hi, Ihave a Wista DX and use a Cambo 6x9 RFH, it slides behind the ground glass like a darkslide. I am including a picture. I stuck two strips of card to the back so that the GG frame pressed flat on the back. Alex

The Cambo 6x9 RFB is a good solution. There was a time I used an Osaka sliding back with a Horseman 6x9 RFB, light enough and easy.

I have a Wista DX 45 and a Wista 6x9 back, it slips under the 5x4 back with ease and is no problem.

It's superb and works well, it has a plate to ensure the 5x4 focus screen isn't damaged. I've used it extensively over the past 20 years.

Ian