Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saunders 4550 w/ Kearsarge 301?

Saunders 4550 w/ Kearsarge 301?

I recently upgraded my enlarger to a Saunders 4550 (VCCE) which I assumed would work with my Kearsarge 301 timer as my previous enlarger did (Omega DII with a Super Chromega). I received the enlarger yesterday and upon plugging hooking it up to the timer I found that the enlarger light will not switch off in the "time" position, basically its always on. I swapped out the timer for an old Time-O-Light all-manual timer and everything works as it should. I've read that this is a possible problem with electronic timers and certain enlargers but haven't been able to figure out whether there is something I can do about it in order to be able to use my Kearsarge timer or if I'm destined to have to use something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Saunders 4550 w/ Kearsarge 301?

I have a Saunders 4550 XLG with which I used to use the Kearsarge 301. I now use a Kearsarge 403 and a Stop Clock; however I keep the 301 as a back up. I went into the darkroom and hooked up the 301 and it works fine. Do you have the enlarger plugged into the enlarger outlet on the timer, not the safelight outlet?

Kearsarege timers are excellent but he is out of business. A casualty of the digital age.

Ted

Yep, everything is in the correct places (same setup that works with the time-o-lite), timer plugged into the Saunders power supply timer socket, power supply plugged into the wall with the short timer plug going to the plug outlet on the timer...comes on, just won't go out for the "time" function.

I can't seem to find the post now but read somewhere that it had to do with solid state(?) relays vs. electronic ones which hold some sort of a charge once a current goes through them and am guessing there isn't anything I can really do about it other than find a timer without the same circuitry, any one have a stop clock lying around they aren't using.....doubtful. Any other ideas?

The 4550 will work with the 301.

Make sure the plug from the power supply is plugged into the enlarger socket: when looking at the 301, face toward you and the plugs on top, the enlarger socket is the one in the middle, the foot switch is to the left, the safe light outlet is to the right. If the enlarger is in the safe light socket (far right) it will be on when the timer is off (not timing).

Ted

Alright, there are two plugs coming out of the enlarger power supply, one short one that says to enlarger, one long one that I'm assuming goes to the wall. I'm putting the short one in the enlarger socket (they're labeled) on the timer, the long one into the wall and the timer plugged into the socket on the power supply that says timer. I've also tried the timer plugged into the wall with no luck. I'll give it another go but I'm pretty sure I've got it all where it needs to be, particularly since it works fine with the other timer. We'll see...thanks for the help.

I tried it again and it definitely doesn't work. I can actually turn off the timer and the enlarger stays on. If I replace the enlarger with any other electrical appliance (including the old enlarger), everything works as it should. If I use the exact same configuration with the time-o-light, the Saunders words perfectly. I can only guess that there is some conflict between the two..

Big Negs Rock!

Could there be an issue with the ground? Get a volt meter and see if the ground works on the timer. Just a thought. Gotta love electronics.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

The owner of Kearsarge told me that it was best to plug the timer directly into the wall outlet, not the enlarger's power supply/regulator because there might be a conflict. You may try that.

Ted

Thanks, I think I tried that already but will give it one last try. As far as the ground, I'll see what I can do about getting one of my friends who knows something about electronics to take a look, thanks for the idea.

Strangely, I looked through my pile of random ebay darkroom junk last night and found another somewhat simpler Kearsarge timer and tried it out...same exact thing, works with anything I plug into it other than the enlarger. Who knows, looks to me like it must be something specific to them with the Saunders. Thanks again for all of the help, looks like I may be stuck with the time-o-light until I can find a deal on something better.

Saunders 4550 w/ Stop Clock Pro?

So the problem continues: I was lucky enough to find a used Stop Clock Pro on the forum and since the Kearsarge wasn't working I used it as an excuse to upgrade to the timer I really wanted. I wrote to RH Designs to make sure it was compatible with the Saunders and they said that it was. In addition the person I purchased it from used it with a Saunders and said it worked fine. Long story short, I hook it all up tonight and I get the same thing. In the process I've got a few more clues: first off, the enlarger goes on, even if the timer is off (off as in switched off), second, every couple of times I flipped everything on my circuit breaker was flipped off and lastly, holding on to the short plug (the one that is supposed to trigger the light via the timer) I got shocked, nice little bonus. So Ted, you and Mark are probably both correct. From all of this I'm gathering that there's a leak somewhere in the power supply as somebody above suggested but I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. It'd be nice to avoid sending it away to Saunders if it could be something simple to track down...any suggestions? I know pretty close to nothing about electronics so I'm wondering if I can just take it to somebody who works on electronics or is the power supply something too specific that I should only send to the manufacturer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike