Thread: best flatbed scanner under $400

best flatbed scanner under $400

I'm sure this has been covered ad nosium but I thought I'd post just to see what is current. I would really like to get the epson v750 but don't have the money to spend on it right now, so I want to know what you think is the best scanner out there at a moderate price. I'm currently shooting 4x5 transparencies and some b&w. Occasionally I'll shoot color neg but it's not typical for me. The most important thing for me in color accuracy and image size. I've printed 40 x 60 but those were all scanned at a pro lab. The max print I would be looking for is around 16 x 20 give or take. Is the software more important in this situation (silverfast AI) than the scanner itself.

From what I've read people use the epson v4990 quite a lot.

tips, hints, suggestions are appreciated.

Re: best flatbed scanner under $400

I've seen the V700 on epson's refurb section for $415. I think that's probably the best scanner you can get at the moment at the $400 price point.

I just picked up a 4990 refurb for $279 (as in last week) and I think it was a pretty good deal. I like it so far. But they are not often available now. The money saved will allow me to upgrade from Silverfast SE to Ai or the better scanning system. I have access to some silverfast IT8 targets so I don't need to buy those, but if color accuracy is your goal then I think that would be important to you.

I think the software is just part of the total package. The scanner itself is also important as this is the hardware that captures the image.

I have a 4990 with a Betterscanning mount for my 4x5 negs, and it does a nice, relatively fast job, but I should qualify that I really only use it for editing and web purposes. These scanners just aren't that sharp, and no amount of customizing and Photoshopping can make up for that thick pane of glass. In other words they are fine for tests, but I would not use them for final prints of any sort. As long as you have limited expectations, they do fine.

In general the scanner issue is a tough one, because there are a handful of pro-sumer choices out there that seem feasible, but they are no replacement for a good drum or Scitex scan. I know this may be heretical to some, and I may get flamed for it, but even the Imacon has huge limits in my mind. I write this because in trying to avoid having to pay out money to the service bureau, amazing as they are, I always come back to them, in large part for their hardware (which I doubt I will get my own hands on).

If you can find a refurb of the 4990 or the 700 in the Epson store that is the way to go; otherwise, the Microtek i800 is the only choice in new machines and it isn't going to get you to 16x20.