Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change to For Sale section

Arrow Change to For Sale section

In order to allow members in good standing to post classified ads for any type of photo equipment (LF and non-LF alike) and to decrease the danger of fraud, the moderators have made a change to allow access to the "For Sale/Wanted" section only to those who have been members for 30 days or more.

Members will be promoted to enable access automatically at the 30 day point without need to request it. New promotions are processed every 60 minute based on the date and time you joined the Forum, so if you joined late in the day the promotion will likewise happen late in the day.

Those who have been members for less than the 30 day limit will not be able to access posts in the For Sale section.

Also, newer members with an exiting FS/WTB ad where the item is still available will need to repost after the 30 day period when you have normal access to the section (these ads will be deleted by the moderators to avoid confusion).

The FAQ and section description will be updated to reflect this change.

I see in black and white.

Re: Change to For Sale section

Am I understanding that we won't be able to *post* in the For Sale section but we will be able to *buy* things? Can you clarify?

Sounds like a good move. For those who don't know the history, the LF forum for many years had no classified ads and allowed no commercial activity whatsoever. Then the forum migrated to this format from earlier text-oriented layouts and added a classifieds forum. The new rule, I assume, is in response to complaints that there are drive-by posters who join only to post classifieds, usually for non-LF equipment, and they never really contribute to the community otherwise. A 30-day waiting period would serve as a deterrent to this sort of poster.

Yep, I think this is probably a good move also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Am I understanding that we won't be able to *post* in the For Sale section but we will be able to *buy* things? Can you clarify?
    "New" members (those who have been on board for less than 30 days) won't be able to see the posts in the FS/WTB sub-forum, nor will they be able to post items for sale. The underlying idea being to limit the use of that section to people who are actually participating, rather than just coming here to sell stuff to the members.

Does that help, Stephanie?

Yeah, thanks. However, kinda bad for me. I have a pretty good track record for participating in other places. It's just inconvenient for those of us who are participating, but are new.

Will non LF FS postings be permitted, ie. MF and 35mm?

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not really complaining. I'll be here longer than 30 days boring you guys with numerous questions as to why something doesn't turn out right.

Does this mean that poor fellow won't be able to find a cheap wedding photographer?

As a side effect, I suppose, one could also consider this an anti-GAS measure. Someone who just got a LF camera should spend at least 30 days asking questions and learning to use it before buying more stuff.

On the other hand, if that guy's mother in low dies within 30 days of joining the forum, no one will remember what she looked like.