Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Print Exchange!

tim810

ULF Print Exchange!

I am sort of new to shooting ULF. I have found that it is difficult to see others contact printing, especially the over 8x10. I love looking at 8x10 contact prints but would like to see some other photographers works.
    I am looking to do a print exchange similar to what Darr organized but specifically for 11x14 and up contact prints. I think as far as shipping goes Tubes are the only way possible. A standard size of 26"x3" tube would be necessary. The number of prints would depend on group size.
    Ex: If ten people participated you would have to send 9 prints.

This is a great way to see what and how others are doing and sniff some prints (my favorite thing to do).

If there is any interest please respond and I will set it all up.
    Thank you
    Tim

Re: ULF Print Exchange!

Having participated already with ULF, I'd be interested. However, this kinda throws the schedule off for another idea I was having: A strictly ALT Process Print Exchange.... Unless you want to combine that....

--A

tim810

A combination would be great. Having a mix of Silver base and non silver base contact prints would give people a chance to compare processes and possibly try new things. There isn't much of a forum for seeing and sniffing carbon or Ptpd prints etc.. I think this could spark new interest in alt process. So it could include in-camera negs and digi negs of any kind. I think size should stay at 11x14+ to be fare.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If the minimum size were smaller, I would happily participate. I have a wonderful little 24x30cm (9.5x12") camera, and a great big heavy ugly Russian 30x40cm (12x16") one.

I find it much easier to get "good" pictures with the more portable one. It's still larger than 8x10"; large enough to make a real difference when looking at a contact print.

tim810

How about larger than 8x10 to include metric. Anything larger than 80 square inches.
    I will write up a guideline and set some dates tomorrow evening but this sounds good.
    Tim

Hi Tim,
    For what it's worth, hand made prints from ulf negatives will be a lot of work for most of us. I would exclude any digital output for this print exchange. I work with a 12x20 inch camera and making ten identical prints of superior quality for a print exchange is a lot of work. I would really like to see this print exchange work as long as it represents a fair effort on every participant's part.
    Best,
    Gary

tim810

I agree with the amount of work involved in this as I am working with a 12x20 as well. Considering "alt process" has its dificulties. I feel a digi neg is acceptable for this process. I think Digi negs for contact printing can be accepted but the size of the final output has to be above the said dimention. Part of this is to see how others are contact printing (digi negs or traditional). As long as the final print is contact printed in a wet darkroom of some kind (silver, carbon, ptpd etc...) it is acceptable. I would on the other hand personally prefer viewing in-camera negs.
    Tim
    Last edited by tim810; 15-Apr-2008 at 20:11.

Tim,
    From my point of view, I would like to see a contact print from an in-camera ulf negative. I do not think that making a 12x20 inch digital negative from a smaller format camera or a DSLR is equal to the level of effort required to make an original ulf image in the field or in the studio. Ultimately, I do not equate ULF camera work to an image made from a digital negative of the same size. Perhaps I am being too much of a purist!
    Best,
    Gary

I would be reluctant to make a large number of ULF contact prints for an exchange, also I would not be happy with contacts from enlarged digital negatives. Smaller groups of 3 or 4 would be my preference and excluding enlarged digital negatives. Just my 2 pence...

tim810

So after thinking about this for a while, I tend to agree with the exclusion of digi negs.

Criteria:
    -anything above 80 square inches.
    -silver gelatin or "alt process"
    -Contact prints only

Finally:
    groups will be limited to 6-7 participants.
    The date for closing the participant list is May 31st.
    Date for prints to be mailed to me is July 15th.
    for the mailer a 30" mailer with a diameter of 3" will work I will re- use the mailer to ship prints back to participants.

Thank you

Tim

My address is 736 Main St. #1
    Willimantic, Ct 06226