Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega D5500 repair/parts

Omega D5500 repair/parts

All,

I have recently acquired an Omega D5500 enlarger that appears to be in good shape as a replacement for my current enlarger with the Beseler/Minolta 45A head (the flash tubes are no longer available and I am down to my last).

My problem is that the rubber rollers that provide micro-height adjustment have disintegrated. I have searched the web without finding the needed parts. I have also contacted khbPhotografix via email to see if they have the parts. (They claim to sell refurbished enlargers.)

I am wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced a similar problem with the D5500 and, if so, how did you resolve it. (Junking the enlarger is not the response I am looking for.)

My thanks for any help you can offer.
    al

Re: Omega D5500 repair/parts

Contact Harry at Classic Enlargers (http://www.classic-enlargers.com/). He's the best Omega enlarger resource there is.

I had the same problem and could not find either the parts or an easy way to dismantle it to get at the wheels - that plus the mis alignment that only could be resolved by shimming the baseboard and column make it easy for me to "junk" it. For what its worth the carriers and head parts I was able to sell for more than I paid for the D5500 enlarger package. The Beseler 45 enlarger series was a much better built unit, and much easier to work on than the D5500 in my opinion, I have also high opinions of the Durst and Omega units over a D5500. So, Unless you are doing color work and need the closed loop head and control unit I would advise thinking about another Brand of enlarger if you are not able to get it fixed cheaply.

I know I saw someone who has a 'refurbishing' kit for those rubber wheels, perhaps one of those places listed.

I have two D5500s and I did a little picture sequence showing how I fixed one of them with some large rubber O-rings. I will try to track down the photos....if I can't find them, I will re-do the photos because enlarger #2 is in need of new rubber wheels now also.

Ok, I found the pictures, all 30 of them...I will try to post the relevant ones.

The first sequence shows how to get the head off the column.

Next step is to get the knob off.

I used a rubber 'foot' from the hardware store and two large o-rings for each of the two sides. I don't have the measurements off hand, but once the axle is out you can measure it easily to see what size rubber pieces you need.

To get it back together just 'reverse the steps of disassembly' as they say...

I put some anti-seize on the knob so it wont freeze on there again.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and especially to ic-racer for the do-it-yourself photos. This looks like an accomplishable project and I will begin working on it. Where I live, enlargers better than this are very hard to come by. If they have to be shipped any distance at all, the freight bill is more costly that the equipment.

The wealth of helpful information from members of this forum is amazing.
    Thanks for your help,
    al

It took a while to get around to it, but I have refurbed my D5500 using the instructive photos provided by ic-racer.

I have made one change to the solution, however. I have added more O-rings to the crutch tips so they get a better grip on the support beam (see attached image) for a total of 7 o-rings on each spool.

The first ring is 1 1/8" ID, the next four are 1 1/4", and the last two are 1 5/16", all with 1/8" walls. I could not find any with 1 3/8" ID at my local stores so I just stretched the ones I was able to find. This fix is working very well. Hope this might be useful info for others. Thank you ic-racer!
    al