Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stitching with MAC 10.3.9

Stitching with MAC 10.3.9

Are there any good plug-in for Photoshop CS, or stand-alone programs, for stitching with a G4 running MAC OS 10.3.9?

I use Photoshop CS3 on an Intel iMAC running 10.4.11 and the stitching program is excellent, but porting large files to this computer from the one I scan on is irritating and takes time.

Sandy King

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Stitching with MAC 10.3.9

autopano works on a mac, it's a stand alone program. autopano.net
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Sandy,

On my g4 scanning computer, I added a USB 2 card, and I use a USB 2 portable hard drive to move files. It works fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Sandy,

On my g4 scanning computer, I added a USB 2 card, and I use a USB 2 portable hard drive to move files. It works fairly well.
    Actually I have two USB ports on the G4, and there is an external USB hard drive located between the G4 and iMAC. I tried to transfer the files through the USB port to the USB hard drive but the transfer rate was very, very slow. Perhaps the data is getting bottled up somehow in the port?

Sandy

Peter

Autopano looks very cool!
    Here's one that's open source in case you don't want to pay.
    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
    I haven't tried it, so I can't tell you what I think about it.
    Peter

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010437.asp - go down the page...

7. PhotoStitch Updater for Mac OS X (3.2.0)

Compatibility:
    Operating system(s):

Mac OS X 10.3.x, Mac OS X 10.4.x
    Language(s):

English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

Last time I checked you don't need a Canon camera to run it, and the stitch program is basic but very good considering it's free (and made by Canon). I've used it successfully.

Here's two 35mm frames stitched:

Here's the HUGE one,

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...ed/avebury.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Actually I have two USB ports on the G4, and there is an external USB hard drive located between the G4 and iMAC. I tried to transfer the files through the USB port to the USB hard drive but the transfer rate was very, very slow. Perhaps the data is getting bottled up somehow in the port?

Sandy
    Sandy, did you try networking the two computers? Ethernet should perform much better than any USB or even FireWire disk. Using an external disk for transfer means doubling the work - first you have to do a disk read from the G4 and disk write to the external drive, and then follow up with a disk read from external unit and disk write to your other computer. All through what is essentially the slowest I/O by default.

You could even save your scans straight to your new computer over the network, completely bypassing the G4 for anything except scanning itself. The write speed would be noticeably slower, but I would also expect it to be noticeably faster than the saving and transfer combined.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Sandy, did you try networking the two computers? Ethernet should perform much better than any USB or even FireWire disk. Using an external disk for transfer means doubling the work - first you have to do a disk read from the G4 and disk write to the external drive, and then follow up with a disk read from external unit and disk write to your other computer. All through what is essentially the slowest I/O by default.

You could even save your scans straight to your new computer over the network, completely bypassing the G4 for anything except scanning itself. The write speed would be noticeably slower, but I would also expect it to be noticeably faster than the saving and transfer combined.

Marko
    Marko,

I have not tried a hard wire ethernet connection. However, both computers are on a wireless network and I can exchange files that way in OSX. Unfortunatley it takes a very long time to transfer very large files. I don't undestand why the tranfer takes such a long time because the wireless system is very fast in downloading things from the net.

Unfortunately I don't believe that I can use the file transfer system between OS9 and OSX so I would not be able to save the files directly from the scanner to the newer computer since I have to scan in OS9.

Sandy

Sandy, I have tried both autopano and hugin and they are both good products.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

My card and drives are USB-2. USB-2 is about 40 times faster than USB-1. The regular usb ports on the G4 are USB-1, and I had the same experience using them that you did. The USB-2 card I bought (an IOgear) cost less than $20.