Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field camera users, help please

Re: Field camera users, help please

I'm still a large format newbie, really, but I agree. A dark cloth really does make a huge difference.

I was out shooting last weekend on a bright, sunny day and the cloth made the image stand out enough that focusing was really easy (although I do use a loupe for accuracy).

Large format photography is slow. The cloth makes it slower, but who cares? Do it right.

I had a play around today just using a bit of black velvet, It did make a big difference!

I think i might take a look at the elasticated ones, especially as I like to shoot on windy days.

Thanks folks

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
    I had a play around today just using a bit of black velvet, It did make a big difference!

I think i might take a look at the elasticated ones, especially as I like to shoot on windy days.

Thanks folks
    I would agree that a dark cloth is a necessity for most use and especially for wide lenses. I use an schneider 80XL with which I still can't see all of the dark cloth at once.

I have come to the conclusion that a custom fresnel is needed to get an overall view of the scene with lenses wide than 90mm.

As for dark cloths, I'm particularly happy with my BlackJacket (which I've modified a little - see http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2007/10/...cket-mods.html)

Tim-- Thanks for sharing your BlackJacket mods--they look like good ideas. I like the BlackJacket, but have a few mod ideas of my own. I was planning on making a "shortie" version to better match my Chamonix (and personal preferences), but I recently got an 8x10, so I'm rethinking a few mods that would both lighten the BlackJacket and make it more adaptable between 4x5 and 8x10.